Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Track day rentals
Dooey99

posted on 17/1/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Track day rentals

Hello me and a friend are starting a garage and we have been looking into track car rentals.

How much would people look to pay to hire a locost type car or maybe a vauxhal vx220 for a day, remembering the cost of a track day place at a race circuit this would include full track side support and maintenance during the day and transport of the hired car to the circuit.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

austin man

posted on 17/1/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
check out red letter days there are companies already doing it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

theduck

posted on 17/1/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Red letter days are not the same as what is being suggested.

Have a look at the nurburg rental sites for comparisons.

bi22le

posted on 17/1/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
if i was tempted ten the price would include track hire, fuel, good video and sound, hire of a car at least as fast as mine.

to do all of above at brands with my car is 300 ish. so i would want to pay 350ish for a day.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
By the sound of that £350 is a good price, I guess dependant on the exact car

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting googling to see what the companies charge for this.

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/car_hire_experience/

£626 for the car (R300 Caterham) + the cost of the trackday.

Quite pricey then!

gaz_gaz

posted on 18/1/13 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
if i was tempted ten the price would include track hire, fuel, good video and sound, hire of a car at least as fast as mine.

to do all of above at brands with my car is 300 ish. so i would want to pay 350ish for a day.

Good luck with that. £350 is massively unrealistic. Its aimed at people who don't have a car of there own to use.

Your looking at 300 for a caterham r300 for an evening session on brands indy plus the day
Your looking at 625 to 700 depending on time of year for an r300 full day at brands indy plus the day
Similar price for snetterton etc.

Check out the bookatrack website. They have prices for car hire next to all there days. Done a lot of bookatrack days and there cars are always booked out.

gaz_gaz

posted on 18/1/13 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Blyton hire out a Roadrunner sr2
Focused Events hire a tiger R6 so maybe worth looking at there prices too.

bi22le

posted on 18/1/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Good luck with that. £350 is massively unrealistic. Its aimed at people who don't have a car of there own to use.

Your looking at 300 for a caterham r300 for an evening session on brands indy plus the day
Your looking at 625 to 700 depending on time of year for an r300 full day at brands indy plus the day
Similar price for snetterton etc.

Check out the bookatrack website. They have prices for car hire next to all there days. Done a lot of bookatrack days and there cars are always booked out.

£700!! Glad I have my own car. Thats 2 weeks all inclusive somewhere hot. . . . .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

TimC

posted on 18/1/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's not quite the same but Allied Motorsport charge the following for Locost races.
Includes...

Locost Race Car Hire
Race administration assistance
Pre-meeting car check
Transport of race car to & from the venue
Race Fuel
Scrutineering assistance
Consumables - oil, water, brake fluid etc
Trackside Support
Refreshments
Accident indemnity, covering accident damage.*

Fees Single Race Meeting - £545.00

This is therefore in addition to the entry fee.

gaz_gaz

posted on 18/1/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
For 2 x 20 minute races and a qualifying session?

Expensive business

thefreak

posted on 18/1/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Expensive business

Not really if you think about it.
You get a fully prepp'd car for £545 a round
If the championship is 10 rounds, that's just under £5500.

There's not many race cars you can build for that Plus you're covered for damage, you're not if you're racing your own car.

Obviously this doesn't take into account selling the car on afterwards which will make you some back, but if it's something you can't store, or want to waste the spare weekends fiddling with, it makes it a decent option for someone who wants a bit of fun without the overheads.

Similar to buying a car on one of the hire/purchase deals. Drive the car for 3 years for £200 a month then give it back.

TimC

posted on 18/1/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
quote:

Expensive business

There's not many race cars you can build for that Plus you're covered for damage, you're not if you're racing your own car.

Obviously this doesn't take into account selling the car on afterwards which will make you some back, but if it's something you can't store, or want to waste the spare weekends fiddling with, it makes it a decent option for someone who wants a bit of fun without the overheads.

Similar to buying a car on one of the hire/purchase deals. Drive the car for 3 years for £200 a month then give it back.

That is very true - also consider 'depreciation' suffered on some race cars; as with new kit builds where this number can be pretty mega too. For example, there's probably c.£6k that I wouldn't expect to get back from the build cost on mine. Alarming but true. Naturally this doesn't happen in quite the same way if you buy a used car as someone else has taken the major hit on the depreciation curve but it helps to add useful context.

morcus

posted on 18/1/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Going back to the OP, have you looked into insurance and rules for your customers incase anything happens?

Have you considered mabey starting with a stripped out and prepped hot hatch as you'd have less at stake and you could learn by doing and work your way up as it were?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

yozza

posted on 19/1/13 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I looked into this for a team building type lads day out and the big downside was the indemnity cost (£2000 on my credit card) refundable if undamaged. Anywhere around £500 a day for a tiger R6 with about 20 minutes in each hour for 2 or 3 people I.E. each person would get 20 minutes every 3 hours or 10 minutes every 1.5 hours! Expensive if someone wraps it around the armco. I ended up buying a hot hatch and just thrash it with my work mates when we get a chance. Ideally I would rent one but dont want to risk a few grand if it gets damaged. A cheaper option on the insurance would certainly get me interested.
Good luck
Joe

gaz_gaz

posted on 19/1/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
quote:

Expensive business

I never said it was over priced or not good value for money.
Motorsport is an expensive business.
Not even Daniella Westbrook could spend £600 for 90 mins fun.
I looled at hiring a car for this years cscc tintops but decided against it as I wanted the car avaliable for test days and trackdays so I could have seat time whenever I wanted. Currently half way through my build and already spent 4 times the cost of hiring a car for a year.

eddie99

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Theres different ways of looking at it....

For the person who works long hours Monday - Friday, lives in a city with no garage. Got a family etc..

Having someone store, prep a good car, take it to the track, then look after him while hes at the track. Then the above prices are extremely cheap. A decent arrive and drive in a caterham for a race weekend is £3k. Admittedly that is a bit pricey but it soon adds up when you've got a big truck/trailer to tow and to pay a couple of guys for a weekend.

If you've got your own track car, then you will see it different because you put all those hours in for nothing to look after a car.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.