Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wind Farm maintenance jobs ?
T66

posted on 23/1/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Wind Farm maintenance jobs ?

If I dont get made compulsory redundant in the next 4 years, my job with the law will come to an end in 2017. While I am looking forward to leaving and moving onto pastures new, I also need to sort out a job to pay the bills, and keep her indoors handbag flush.

Is there anyone here working in the onshore/offshore turbine maintenance world ? Im after some industry advice on what to do, and if in fact if it is worth doing. My thoughts are toward a rope access course, and seeing what other techy training courses i could do before I get binned.

The offshore side of the market interests me, as Im helicopter friendly having worked on one for a few years, and have the required offshore safety courses, HUET/First aid & Firefighting etc, was curious as to whether my old trade as an HGV mech would be any use to anyone. Im thinking more spanner twirling, than doing a 4 year engineering degree.

They seem to be everywhere now.....

adithorp

posted on 23/1/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a mate works on them installing transformer control systems. I can ask him at weekend.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

T66

posted on 24/1/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Adie,

Just a tentative toe in the water at the minute, but I would appreciate his feedback. Been out of the hgv trade for years, and I will be 51, but for reasonable outlay if its worth a punt, would happily speculate on a few training courses, to assist me being employable.

Ivan

yozza

posted on 24/1/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I cant speak for the wind farms but work as a manager offshore on gas platforms and we always need mechanics, age is not an issue at all. Loads of work coming up this year and for next year. just message me if you want a chat about it.
Regards
Joe

bi22le

posted on 24/1/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a friend that I have not spoken to for a while that builds and maintains the wind farms, he got into it from diving for a living.

Another friend of mine did rope access courses but has had trouble finding work. I dont know what line he was going for but I would of thought he would of taken anything as he loves to travel and is not affraid of anything.

Just a little info.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

T66

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys much appreciated, this is what makes Locost so good...

Joe,

You have a U2U if it works, very slow for some reason.

Ivan

StrikerChris

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have a friend who works for RWE on the Dee estury N Wales.They paid for his training,don't think rope access was involved,just basic survival.Moneys not great tho,I'm on approx 5k more annually as a day fitter in a papermill. Proper money is on the oil or gas up north if thats what your after.

Ps NOV are taking loads on in the oils/gas sector,maybe worth googling

Chris

[Edited on 25/1/13 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 25/1/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
I have a friend who works for RWE on the Dee estury N Wales.They paid for his training,don't think rope access was involved,just basic survival.Moneys not great tho,I'm on approx 5k more annually as a day fitter in a papermill. Proper money is on the oil or gas up north if thats what your after.

Ps NOV are taking loads on in the oils/gas sector,maybe worth googling

Chris

[Edited on 25/1/13 by StrikerChris]

Thanks Chris,

Found NOV straightaway, big concern !

Slimy38

posted on 25/1/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I did my rope access course years ago, never used it since!! I was getting it for GSM and radio mast maintenance, but short of actually having to change a dish most of the electronics are sat in a box at the bottom of the mast so all I needed to do was get on top of the odd water tank or weak roof.

When I did my welding course there was at least half of the attendees going for their codes (is that the right word?) for offshore contracts, a few of those were doing it for a career change and they seemed to have some decent plans. I don't know whether it was all talk and there aren't any jobs at the end or whether it was actually a viable plan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.