Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Causes this on LCD TV Screen?
John P

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
What Causes this on LCD TV Screen?

Our Samsung LCD TV is quite old now and for some time the screen has been getting progresively worse.

The screen has what almost looks like a film of oil on the surface which is clearly visible when on a blank screen but much less so when normally on.

[img] Samsung TV Picture
Samsung TV Picture
[/img]

What causes this?

austin man

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
looks like an image has burnt on the screen this happens with PC screens if left on with no activity for prolonged periods

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jossey

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
put it on a terestrial TV channel with the snow on for 5 or so mins.. if your tv will allow. This should sort it.

[img]http://findingthemotherlode.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/tv-snow.jpeg?w=300&h=225[/img]

They do have downloads which do this if you cant get terestrial snow...

Please let me know how you get on....

[Edited on 10/3/13 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 10/3/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like Moir fringe effect when two gtatings are at different angles. One grating will be the arrangment of the LED dots. The other is usually in the signal or transmission or can be internally the form of noise but I don't know what is causing it specifically in your case but the PSU would be a good place to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

John P

posted on 10/3/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I tried the suggestion of tuning to an old analogue channel and leaving the snow on screen for around 5 minutes but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've seen a suggestion of holding an ice pack close to the screen in the affected areas to try to smooth out a film which is apparently inside the screen and can become wrinkled but this all seems rather questionable.

Any other suggestions or is it at the end of it's life?

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
Any other suggestions or is it at the end of it's life?

I guess that depends on how old (or more "how used" ) and what it would cost to replace

Why not try the ice pack? If it does make it worse it's made the decision for you!

alfiebeard

posted on 10/3/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry kid the screens knackered, we see this every day at work (Tv Engineer) its failing cells in the screen itself, we have (in the early days) tried to repair it by stripping the sceen out and separating the defuser panels and checking whether it was the backlight tubes that had gone dim in areas, one in about 20 was caused by this, but to be honest you will be wasting your time trying to make it better, if it had been a Plasma set then some of the posts above could have helped like putting the set on full white for a couple of hrs, this is called whitewashing, the fault you have is called watermarking because when a picture is on it looks like it is water stained.

Hope this helps

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.