Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is your driving licence out of date? Check it now.
DarrenW

posted on 19/6/13 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is your driving licence out of date? Check it now.

Just thought id post this as a reminder for all of those people with Photocard licences. They only last 10 years.

Moneysavings expert recommends you to check;

1. Date in 4b - i think this is the photo expiry date.
2. Address in 8.
3. Name is correct (ie if Married women havent changed the date on their licences).

Im not sure what the fines are for inaccurate data on your licence but im pretty sure it will cost something, and is very easily preventable. Furthermore if you need to hire a car then you may actually be stopped if you cant present a valid licence.

i have to carry my licence every week when travelling. cant legally pick up hire cars from the airports without it. When mine had about 6 weeks left to run i renewed at the post office, excellent service as the form and pic are sent to DVLA electronically. main branches have special photo machines so there is no risk of getting it returned. I ticked the licence lost box, new one came fairly quickly.

Happy checking!

whitestu

posted on 19/6/13 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I believe it is also a potential £1k fine as well if you let it lapse.
Dusty

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't hire a car from Avis on my return from Oz last month because I didn't have both parts of my licence with me. I just had the photocard which was in date. Hooray for Avis.
jossey

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
It's a £1000 for the address you can get points for using your out if date license and a fine.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Usually the hire car company have a short dial through to the DVLA and for a 'small' fee can check your license if you have lost it, forgotten it or even if it has expired. As long as there are no restrictions on it you should be given the green light.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/6/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Its a new thing wih the photo ones (the paper ones were until 70? 80?).

When I looked into this I heard that no-one had ever been prosecuted for their driving license being out of date. I got a single reminder and ignored it.

chillis

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Its a new thing wih the photo ones (the paper ones were until 70? 80?).

When I looked into this I heard that no-one had ever been prosecuted for their driving license being out of date. I got a single reminder and ignored it.

Paper ones arn't valid in europe though as i found to my cost You have to have a photo one with the euro symbol on it

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Acc8braman

posted on 19/6/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
My Brother was stopped by the Police last year - his Photo card had expired and the fined him £60.00
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/13 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah the £1000 is just a worst case. I have pointed out the 10 year thing to a few folk and I think many older drivers have no idea.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Not Anumber

posted on 19/6/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I didnt realise that paper licenses werent valid for driving in Europe. Ive done it on at least two occasions without thinking. I refuse to p*ss about wasting time having a photo taken for a photographic license which will need renewing every ten years when my tatty old paper license in perfectly valid.

DarrenW

posted on 19/6/13 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
I didnt realise that paper licenses werent valid for driving in Europe. Ive done it on at least two occasions without thinking. I refuse to p*ss about wasting time having a photo taken for a photographic license which will need renewing every ten years when my tatty old paper license in perfectly valid.

Having the photo taken is way easier than it used to be if you use the post office service. Really easy and highly recommended. You will still need to download, print and fill out the paper form first, but they will scan that and add the photo electronically when you are at the Post Office.

i carry my paper copy when abroad just in case as that is the bit that has the points on it (or lack of if a clean licence).

[Edited on 19/6/13 by DarrenW]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit, still got my paper licence.
Never bothered getting it changed to the modern photo ID type as I'd heard horror stories of people losing categories they were entitled to drive (i.e full bike licence) and not getting them re-instated due to being unable to prove they had them in the first place ('cos the proof was the paper licence they'd submitted to DVLA for renewal!!)
Anyway, didn't realise my paper licence won't be valid in Europe.
Will need to hire a car in Spain for hols later this year. The dilemna is do I plead ignorance and not tell the wife? - meaning she'd have to hire the car and drive it all holiday!! (she does have a modern photo ID licence) and I can kick back, relax and not worry about how much I've had to drink!

[Edited on 19/6/13 by andrew.carwithen]

Oddified

posted on 19/6/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
As above, the old paper licences aren't 'officially' valid in Euorpe.

I still have the old paper licence and go across europe quite often, and i also use it for hiring cars over there. Never had a problem yet.

Ian

coozer

posted on 19/6/13 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
As a truck driver I carry all 4 parts with me at all times, it regularly gets checked by firms and the police, as said I cannot stomach the thought of a 1K fine!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeCapon

posted on 19/6/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised to hear that the old paper licences are not valid in Europe? Mine was issued in 1987 and expires in 2027 (old git) and I've been living abroad (France mostly) since Feb 97. I've been stopped, done for speeding, hired cars and all sorts and never a word about the licence.

Mine says in caps on the bottom 'EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES MODEL' and has 'driving licence' in about 10 diiferent languages on the front. Maybe I should get a new one?

www.shock-factory.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.