Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: mid engined spaceframed road legal racecar

posted on 14/10/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Perspex (?) windows

I need to make a flat, bulkhead window for my mid-engined project. The window will be internal, between engine bay & cabin.

Can anyone reccomend a supplier and a product who could cut me a window from perspex, or plastic?

Ideally it would be about 5-6 mm thick & wouldn't go 'milky' or scratch too easily.

I've tried the DIY stores & they only sell really brittle cheap stuff, my local glazing supplier only sells 8' X 4' sheets at about 200 quid!

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

locoboy

posted on 14/10/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
go to your local sign makers they often have stuff like that and obviously have the tools and skills to cut it to shape for you.

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 14/10/04 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Wingnut,

Had you considered the tendency of perspex, lexan, etc. to go soft at quite low temperatures? It's just that engine compartments get quite hot...

... personally, I'd prefer metal between me and the hot, oily, petroly bits!
rgds,

David

Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/10/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
David,

Thanks for the tip, but the window is essential! I agree with what you say about the heat & also the noise, so the window will be 'double glazed'.

regards,

pbura

posted on 14/10/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Polycarbonate is the same material used in eyeglasses, and should last forever with decent care. Plexiglass/perspex scratches easily and will look ratty in a couple of years.

I was going to buy polycarbonate from a sign supplier friend for some storm windows for a sunporch. However, his stuff was not UV-resistant, and internet prices were lower than his cost. Bad news was that the (greenhouse) supplier I dealt with had a $500 minimum order.

Syd's source sounds good, but if that fails try calling the manufacturer (Dow Corning in the US, probably there also because of the branding) and ask about stocking distributors in your area. Maybe you'll be able to cadge a quarter sheet off one, or one of their customers.

Pete

Pete

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/10/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
in an engine fire, its gonna come right tho at you if your trapped in the car.....

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 14/10/04 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Better safe than sorry eh!

Always look on the bright side of life. At least you'll be able to see how close the flames are if you're still conscious Steve. How have people in plastic pigs have coped with that worry all these years?. They must be nervous wrecks every time they go out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/10/04 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
You have to have your brain removed to travel in a Plastic Pig...

DJ

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/10/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
americans call the bulkhead between engine and passenger compartment a firewall for a reason....

I survived an accident at 19 during whichI was doused in petrol by a ruptured tank and spent 3 months off work. Perhaps thats why I view car safety a bit more seriously than others....

whats a plastic pig? reliant?

[Edited on 14/10/04 by stephen_gusterson]

David Jenkins

posted on 14/10/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
whats a plastic pig? reliant?

Yep - Reliant Robin.

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/10/04 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
well, have to hold my hand up, ive been in one and driven one.

My long deceased FIL couldnt drive for crap. But he did have a bike license from the war or summat like that. So, he had a reliant regal (ala del boy) van. Its a common misconception that del boy drives a robin - its the earlier regal. My FIL had one in white. He used to regularly take me to the bus station to get rid of me late at night when I was visiting his daughter. Incredible experince. (the car im talking about) You hit all the bumps cos all 3 wheels are across the car track. It booms like crazy. You hear every tappet action.

He had several. On one occasion a breeze block fell off a lorry, and took the whole front off the car. He picked up my SIL from her work place with half a car!

I drove his later robin. It broke down after a few 100 yards cos the luggage elastics that were holding the fuel tank up (a mod by my FIL) fell off, allowing the tank to tilt all the fuel to one side.

an experience.

atb

steve

[Edited on 14/10/04 by stephen_gusterson]

subk2002

posted on 14/10/04 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Lexan is the stuff you want.
I use it at my work, what size are you looking for i might be able to help

Drew
P.S thats what my screen is made of

Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 15/10/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, thanks everyone for all the info, am very grateful.

I'm off later today to visit a local sign shop & see what they have. I guess some type of poly is the way to go.

Drew, tyhanks for your kind offer, If I get stuck I'll drop you a mail.

Regards to all,

subk2002

posted on 15/10/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
No bother
Rob Lane

posted on 17/10/04 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely go for polycarbonate and not the perspex stuff sold at DIY shops. I used some of that on my semi prototype sidescreens. It scratches far too easily, even a soft cloth leaves fine scratch marks.

I would think it would be cheaper to get a piece of toughened glass cut.

Once travelled behind a plastic pig on a freezing cold morning. He lost it on a bend and skidded steadily into a tree, large bang and front of car disintegrated into a zillion pieces, just left him sitting there in fresh air, in shock. Freezing cold must have stressed fibreglass.

Another occasion one lost it coming towards me and flipped it on verge. Windscreen popped out and car came to rest upright with fibreglass cracked all over. Driver jumped out quick, picked up screen, threw it in car and drove off at a furious pace.
Can only assume it wasn't taxed or insured, as he was in a panic when we stopped to help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.