Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UK Gov Imigration & Driving Licence Lack of joined up thinking.
britishtrident

posted on 10/10/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
UK Gov Imigration & Driving Licence Lack of joined up thinking.

Theresa May has announced that illegal immigrants will no longer be able to apply for driving licences, whatever personal views you or I may hold on immigration legal and illegal this will only send to the numbers of uninsured and dangerous drivers soaring. The number of uninsured and unlicensed drivers within the migrant worker and recent immigrant sector of our population is already out of proportion to the wider population this isn't going to help reduce it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

amalyos

posted on 10/10/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
If the system worked then illegal immigrants wouldn't need a licence, because we would have sent them home, or not let them in, in the first place

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 10/10/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I hate to say it, but you're right. Whilst the theory behind it all may be done with the best of intentions, the outcomes associated it are rather negative and detrimental to most. I must say, political views aside, this country is still somewhat of a pushover state and needs tightening up, pronto.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

loggyboy

posted on 10/10/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
If HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE WHO ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE BE ALLOWED TO APPLY FOR A LICENSE ANYWAY?

Do none of these agencies talk to each other? Surely the DVLA require UK ID or a passport to apply for a license? Applying for license should make it easy to find the illegals and go and get them at the address they used!

Also, if someone is ilegally here, what makes you think they are going to bother with insurance or tax, pretty unlikely!

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 10/10/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Get a UK licence and suddenly you become much closer to being official for loans and applying for grants as you have an official document.

Do you really think having a driving licence means they will bother getting insured, two completely different things.

If you want to live in this country then follow proper process, register and live amongst us all happily.

" The number of uninsured and unlicensed drivers within the migrant worker and recent immigrant sector of our population is already out of proportion to the wider population this isn't going to help reduce it"

I think it will help, they get stopped, no licence the reason becomes apparent and they get flagged up, does not follow on they get thrown out of course.

[Edited on 10/10/13 by mark chandler]

onenastyviper

posted on 10/10/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Of course they don't talk to each other - that would make too much sense and be too open and transparent and the "service" companies who make a tidy sum from offering "services" would then be limited in their scopes.

It's just like that in the NHS Hospitals and schools which are in competition between each other.

Using internal markets in places where there is commonality of information is a common failure mode.

Besides, the Senior Management would not see past the fancy graphics or the Apple/Android App.

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

Slimy38

posted on 10/10/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amalyos
If the system worked then illegal immigrants wouldn't need a licence, because we would have sent them home, or not let them in, in the first place

+1, there's a sentence that seems relevant here, it's something about horses, bolts and gates....

Or perhaps an ounce of prevention compared to a pound of cure?

carpmart

posted on 10/10/13 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think it will help, they get stopped, no licence the reason becomes apparent and they get flagged up, does not follow on they get thrown out of course.

[Edited on 10/10/13 by mark chandler]

A good theory except that the problem is that there are no real police around to stop them anymore!!!!!!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

morcus

posted on 10/10/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't think you need to be a citizen to hold a license, just resident, hence why illegal immigrants can get them. I'm with the op on this, good intention but will make things worse as the few that have been driving legally aren't likely to stop.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/10/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Theresa May has announced that illegal immigrants will no longer be able to apply for driving licences, ........................

The BIG problem that I see with this is, how the HECK IS DVLA going to know that the applicant IS an illegal immigrant in the first place. Think about it, new form, please tick box if your ARE an illegal immigrant. Or, just asked the question when you pick up the application form, I'm sorry I have to ask before I give you this form. Are you an illegal immigrant?.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

02GF74

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Theresa May has announced that illegal immigrants will no longer be able to apply for driving licences, ........................

The BIG problem that I see with this is, how the HECK IS DVLA going to know that the applicant IS an illegal immigrant in the first place. Think about it, new form, please tick box if your ARE an illegal immigrant. Or, just asked the question when you pick up the application form, I'm sorry I have to ask before I give you this form. Are you an illegal immigrant?.

No different to being asked by airport security if you left your baggage unattended, did you pack your own bags, has anybody given you anythihng to take on board - idiotic questions which go in a roundabout way to ask have you a bomb in your suitcase? Let's think this one through, a terrorist with a bomb in his/her bag, is hardly likely to admit to it.

nick205

posted on 10/10/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Subject matter aside, Theresa May is yet another politician who's voice just irritates me so much I can't actually hear what she's saying. Others in the same vein are Ed Milliband, Danny Alexander and Iain Duncan-Smith.

Back on the new immigrant controls, I can only see that those here illegally are now even more likely to drive illegally; uninsured and un-taxed

Bare

posted on 11/10/13 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
Getting PC Plod to earn his pay packet ...could be a start.
As would be the required showing of genuine/valid ID when applying for license, as is routinely Done in the Civilsed world.

coyoteboy

posted on 11/10/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
This thread reads like a Daily Wail comments section.

Madness that an illegal immigrant can apply already, and of course it means nothing that they have a license even now as it doesn't mean they are insured. They will avoid all points of contact with authority anyway.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/10/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Mixed feelings on this.

Pros:
Being able to apply for a driving licence somehow adds legitimacy to their presence in the country, so removing this must be a good thing.
An lot of illegals don't actually bother passing their test if the number of immigrants stopped with provisional licences is anything to go by on the various police shows. Driving without a valid licence is the same as having no licence at all.

Cons:
It's not going to stop them driving, with or (far more likely)without insurance.
The effort should be put into preventing them entering the country in the first place, stable door and horses spring to mind.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.