Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford 1600 Crossflow
stevio73

posted on 12/12/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ford 1600 Crossflow

Just picked it up from a mate yesterday, where it accidentally fell over in trailer and broke the dizzy cap. However that's all the damage.

It's thought to be a big valve head, lumpy cam(type and make unknown) it has a twin choke down draught webber and K&N style filter.
Clutch still attached to a (or so I was told) lightened flywheel. There's no alternator or bracket and no starter but I do have a four speed box that has issues with second gear (again as I was told) there's also a four branch manifold.

It's oily and just as it came out of an old consul Capri. My mate has fitted a zetec so this is what's left over. The plug leads look virtually new and from what I was told it was rebuilt by Vulcan 4000miles ago. He's sorting out the paperwork that details the work done.

So, what's it all worth? I dunno, was thinking maybe £300 for engine, £50 gearbox maybe? Sure I could have said it's all mint and gold plated on the insides but then honesty is key to selling something else another time. Anyone is welcome to come and view, it's all in my garage in Selby. Open to offers, oddly I don't need it hanging around.

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

snapper

posted on 12/12/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
You can't sell an engine on maybe's you really need proof
Photos and documents etc or it's just a Crossflow

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

stevio73

posted on 12/12/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
So, what's 'just a crossflow' worth?

stevio73

posted on 12/12/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Someone might get a bargin!! First £250 gets the whole lot as an unknown!

Neb

posted on 12/12/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more info like if it's a 711 block etc would really help a sale. Suggest that the description of works by Vulcan would be really interesting. Also you can't tell it's a 1600cc?

I'd be interested in the head if it has been worked by Vulcan as we know a chap that worked there, but i guess from your add that you are not up for splitting or posting.

FYI - just bought a good donor 1600 711 xflow for our Mk2 rally car for £100 to be built into a screamer, but that was from a chap we know and with a load of other bits.
I would suggest your £250+ is about right if you can't back up the work but can identify the cam, head work (i.e. larger ports), flywheel, but a 120hp xflow would be worth at today's rate £500+? Ax block you could double that at least?
Could be worth taking the rocker box off to see if it has steel posts etc.

HTH - not trying to undermine your ad.

stevio73

posted on 12/12/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
All interesting stuff, and to be honest I wasn't aware of all the variants.
Not real keen on splitting but I think a little investigative work on my part may find some answers. That means stripping a running motor. As long as whoever wants to buy is okay buying gaskets and stuff.....

Where do I find numbers etc?

Neb

posted on 12/12/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
The block number will be on the side of the main engine block just behind the N/S engine mount.
Do a bit of googling on the rest.

Can't tell much of the other kit if it is not stripped - head off, timing cover off (check for a duplex chain), and obviously the clutch to see the fly wheel. Things like a big wing mexico sump is worth a bit too.

Personally i wouldn't bother, as you say it was running. Sell it for your £250 and let someone else find a bargain! If you wern't up north i'd have it (if you could find the works sheets).

Xflows are becoming rarer now, and still well liked by the kit car community & rallying fraternity (historic's especially).

stevio73

posted on 12/12/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would post pics but can't via iPhone onto here.

sevaun

posted on 25/12/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Still for sale

Hi Is this engine still for sale and if so can you send me details via PM

Thanks

Richard

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.