Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Dash
zetec

posted on 1/12/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
New Dash

Just finished having a bash at a new dash. Thought I would post a pic. Done to match the interior panels I've just done. Just need some LED washer jets and I can join the Saxo set!

[Edited on 1/12/04 by zetec] Rescued attachment DSCF0044.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0044.JPG

splitrivet

posted on 1/12/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Very cool zetec, nice clocks ,what make are they.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

scoobyis2cool

posted on 1/12/04 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
That looks really nice, how did you make it? What materials?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 1/12/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Clocks are from greengauges.com and are CAI or Smiths as they used to be known.

Real locost job this. All of a £1 on 10mm MDF and about £5 for black vinyl and blue leather left over from the interior panels and some glue.

Spend a couple of hours with a jigsaw and glue pot and job done. Takes longer to think of a design that it does to make!

Good cheap fun.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 2/12/04 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
The joins between the black and blue bits look recessed, how did you do that?

Sounds a nice cheap way to improve the car, mine is a bit of a tatty SVA job so that's one of my jobs for christmas

How are you planning to attach it to the scuttle?

Pete

[Edited on 2/12/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 2/12/04 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Me and mr Jigsaw. Cut the bit out you want in a different colour, if you are really carefull you can use the bit you remove, cover it and fix it back in the hole. If like me you are none to carefull cut the shape out you want, then transfer cut out shape to another piece of MDF and cut and cover that. Just fix the parts of the dash together at the back.

I don't like to see the fixing screws on a dash so I drill and countersink some 6mm setscrews around the outside of the dash. Before covering the dash mark and drill the scuttle to accept the screws. Once ready to cover the dash just put some body filler over the recessed screws, rub down and they get covered over. The filler stops them from moving when you come to join the dash to scuttle, use wing nuts as they are easier to do up than trying to get a spanner behind the dash. Simple, just like me.

[Edited on 2/12/04 by zetec]

albertz

posted on 15/12/04 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
This is a mistake putting a photo of my dash on the same thread as Zetec's dash!!!

Can anyone see any obvious problems with this dash, will it comply? I am a bit worried about the warning lights, as they are quite low and partially obstructed by the gear lever.

Any help appreciated.

Edit: - Sorry about the size of this image, cant work out how to reduce it to fit

[Edited on 15/12/04 by albertz]

[Edited on 15/12/04 by albertz] Rescued attachment DSCF0022.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCF0022.jpg

posted on 15/12/04 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
This is a mistake putting a photo of my dash on the same thread as Zetec's dash!!!

Why?
The dash you made looks good to me!

zetec

posted on 15/12/04 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
As said looks good to me too! One question how did you do the padded section along the bottom, I was trying to do that but could not sus out how to do the shape.
albertz

posted on 15/12/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the re-assurance. The radius along the bottom edges was done a real Locost way, scavenging around in my dads shed i found a length of plastic coated aluminium pipe. He tells me it is some kind of conduit, but i have no idea where it came from, his shed is good for finding random items like that!

Anyway, i just ran the grinder through it length ways and it slipped over the 10mm MDF and cos it is corrugated aluminium it bent to the shape reasonably well. Held in place with a few pins.

I must admit, i never covered it, i tried but failed, ended up paying an upholsterer to do it for me.

I am concerned because the two amber coloured lights are for the indicators, but i have since noticed that these are normally green. Its no big deal as they were only a couple of quid, i'll try them to see if they are OK first.

But there are no fundamental problems with the content or layout of the dash? i.e. am i missing any warning lights or switches?

dave69isit

posted on 22/12/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
albertz dash

hello were is your fluid level light i see i batery 2 indicaters i high beem happy christmas to all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.