Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ANY OTHER HOBBIES?
midlifecrisis

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
ANY OTHER HOBBIES?

Has anyone got any other hobbies ,which have taken a 'back seat' since the Locost build came along ? Mine are : 1) Building go karts to blast around the school where I work . 2). radio control model boats .
nick205

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
my mountain bike which used to get 2 outings a week hasn't seen the light of day for a long time

My excuse is that it's too cold for a while now anyway

Nick

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
My crazy back pack helicopter project.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quadbike has had a few outings and mountianbike thats not moved for a while

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
My crazy back pack helicopter project.
Gilbert you mad thing

ASH3

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Giving up bein Akela with local
Cub pack. As if looking after me
Indy Blade aint enough got a
GT40 to get on the road!! Luvin It!!

posted on 2/12/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote

phelpsa

posted on 2/12/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was into quading majorly before I got into kit cars. Begged my dad to buy me a Suzuki LT80 and he did, £1500 in 1997. I was gonna get it up to race spec. I rode it every weekend for about three years, round the garden and at the track. Then I just rode it round the garden for about 2 years, then we bought the locost. After that it sat in the garage for about a year. We sold about six months ago for £1200. A loss of £300 over seven years isn't bad!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 2/12/04 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Made a model steam locomotive!

[img]Lathyrus[/img]
(don't know why this picture didn't show properly - Chris? You can click on it tho' )

Total weight around 200 pounds when its water tender is attached, has hauled 12-15 adults around a short track. It's very neglected at the moment, but I'll get back to it once I've got the car to a stable condition (and while the weather's cold).

rgds,

David

[Edited on 2/12/04 by David Jenkins]

splitrivet

posted on 2/12/04 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Microlighting,hang gliding oh yes and me stamp collection has gone all to shite
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

alister667

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, song writing. I haven't written/recorded anything for about a year or so. That said I'm now playing a lot more guitar since I have the car finished than since I started the build.

You can get a couple of songs I wrote and recorded about 2 years ago below.

http://users.firenet.uk.com/ajackson/Ali%20Jackson%20-%20Sam%20Bradley .mp3

and

http://users.firenet.uk.com/ajackson/Ali%20Jackson%20-%20ankle.mp3

These songs have no copyright so feel free to do with them exactly what you desire.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mountain biking as regularly as possible, also used to race on-road radio controlled cars but that started to get too expensive and I didn't have enough time for it to make the cost worthwhile. Good fun though!

Andy

stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
when you said before you had made a steam engine, i thought you meant a desk top mammod (sp?) thing!

thats way cool

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Made a model steam locomotive!

[img]Lathyrus[/img]
(don't know why this picture didn't show properly - Chris? You can click on it tho' )

Total weight around 200 pounds when its water tender is attached, has hauled 12-15 adults around a short track. It's very neglected at the moment, but I'll get back to it once I've got the car to a stable condition (and while the weather's cold).

rgds,

David

[Edited on 2/12/04 by David Jenkins]

Alez

posted on 3/12/04 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm very involved with music. In fact, it's clear to me that music is the only reason why I don't plan to start any car building project in the near future. I spend quite some time studying daily, and play in bands.

Alister, I think those two songs are really good.

Cheers,

Alex

James

posted on 3/12/04 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Savate (kickboxing) has probably been the main victim. I've missed loads of the Sunday afternoon extra training 'murder sessions' as result of brekkies up at Newlands/Walton. And my enthusiasm even for the main class has waned somewhat.
Having taken on a 2nd job as well doesn't give me a whole lot of time for anything!

My boss of my main job and my girlfriend might both suggest that other things have taken a back seat too!

Cheers,
James

wilkingj

posted on 3/12/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yup...

Radio Amateur

Computers

Shooting (Packed up as the Gov't took them all away)
Feels like I was punished for something I did NOT do.

Have a 1954 Matchless motorbike under restoration (Long term project - on the back burner!)

2 x Teenage Boys (15+17)

Wife

Viento, as I have done two Land Rover rebuilds, and wanted to do something different. www.btinternet.com/~geoff.wilkin
Not necessarily in that Order.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 3/12/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Shooting (Packed up as the Gov't took them all away)
Feels like I was punished for something I did NOT do.

Don't start me on that one! I used to be a reasonably good target pistol shooter (full-bore) - fortunately I got bored and sold up about 6 months before the carve-up.

David

JAG

posted on 3/12/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used to fly radio-controlled helicopters and I used to have a marriage/wife

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Fred W B

posted on 3/12/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Have you noticed that most of the hobbies people list above are solitary pursuits. By that I mean not team activities like Soccer or Cricket, or even going down the pub with mates - is that a hobbie?

Is that because you need to be the sort of person who like doing things on his own, and also be a bit bloody minded, to put up with the aggravations of building a car yourself?

My previous hobbies included:

Competitive cycling while a student, but that is not fun when you are not properly fit and hanging on at the back of a bunch. I used to promise myself I would give up at least once a race, but once finished you see that you did a bit better than last time and feel a bit better, so you keep at it. Gave up eventually, as who has time to put in two hours a day on the bike and still earn a living etcetera.

Have just given up kart racing, as it's too expensive to keep up and also buy required car bits at the same time, even without the time factor. Karting is a sport where you can spend lots of money and hours preparing and testing for events, and then have your equipment damaged, and get no results at all, when you are blamelessly taken out by someone racing on Daddies pocket.

I have also spent many hours over many years doing afterhours technical backstage work in amateur and semi professional theater. Here you give up all your free time, usually for no remuneration, to be involved in a production that finishes and vanishes into thin air after a few days or weeks. Very good social scene for a heterosexual bachelor though!

But then, being a bachelor is another hobbie I have recently given up.

So, compared to the above, I suppose building a car makes more sense. When I lock up the workshop at night and look back at what I am building, at least I can see where the money is, and it will still be there tomorrow!

Cheers

Fred WB

PioneerX

posted on 3/12/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, here goes. I'm a sucker for big boys toys.

Hobbies (well basically things I havent used since I started building a car)

Model Helicopters (1x Indoor, 2x 30-Size outdoor)

Model Planes (1x High wing trained, 1x flexi-wing Microlight)

Model Cars (1x 10th scale professional touring car, 1x Off-road buggy)

Robotics (1x Modified i-cybie, 1x Competion Sumo Bot, Fully equiped electronics workshop(use mainly for robtics))

Model Railway (9ftx9ft, currently under construction)

I did struggle with the dilema of only having enough cash to either own and learn to fly a flexi-wing microlight or build a car.

I love speed :-P

posted on 3/12/04 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
on the garage roof there is a 1 seater racing hovercraft waiting 4 an engine and a skirt

[Edited on 3/12/2004 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

midlifecrisis

posted on 3/12/04 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a hovercraft a few yrs ago ,had to go cos the local neighbours complained of the noise ,as i blasted it around the playground here ! Was heavily into 'tot rods ' , when my kids were young . still got one that requires 5 hp honda engine . Also 1 /2 way thro' the build of a three wheel piaggio powered go kart ,languishing in the shed .
ned

posted on 3/12/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
gave up karting and sold the kart to fund the locost project. (didn't go very far though!) going to the pub has been consiederably cut bac on -saves money and i don't really miss it. my stamp collection hasn't been added to in years!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

white130d

posted on 3/12/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
work

As I seem to work more on the locost my work has turned into my hobby. I guess I have my priorities staight finally, that is until the bill colelctors come knocking.

Oh yeah, I do have a 1926 22' Hackercraft Gentleman's runabout that didn't see water last year.

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

midlifecrisis

posted on 3/12/04 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nice Boat !!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.