Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Doors
scoobyis2cool

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Doors

Has anyone attempted a build that involves doors? if so, how did you do them?

I want to design my own car from scratch (won't be any time soon though, what with uni and all ), and having no roof/doors can be a bit limiting as to what design to choose.

Any hints/tips/links?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 2/12/04 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

All I can suggest is, as you have no screen, that you make two doors that blend into a split screen and are hinged on the rollbar.

I hope this is of some help

ATB

Simon

scoobyis2cool

posted on 3/12/04 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure i follow exactly...

The plan is to design a fully enclosed car with roof, doors, windows and a screen, but the doors seem like the hardest bit - hinging, latching, locking, window winders, seals etc

In fact the more I think about it the less I like this idea! Maybe I'll just stick to an open-topped car

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 3/12/04 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
agreed, door are a nightmare. keep it simple, how about sliding 1/2 windows, or lotus elite stylee totally sealed jobs (bit hot in summer though!. no winders etc to worry about that way. could also use complete donor doors, bit harder but something like a fiat x1/9 might provide something you can use. can always reskin with fibreglass.
hinges and latches are another story, but not impossible. would be interesting to see development. good luck

Simon

posted on 3/12/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Scooby,

Imagine GT40 doors which almost meet in the middle of the roof (but in your case woul do) and instead of the front of the doors butting up to the "A" post on GT40 yours would go up and over the dash to join at the front in the form of a split screen. The doors would hinge at the top of the rollbar and be a bit like Countach doors but rear hinged.

HTH

ATB

Simon

Crazy Jay

posted on 5/12/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
If i was ever building doors/roof on my indy, i would make a roof, kinda like a Hardtop u'd get on an s2000 mx5 etc. One piece. Put a hinge on the rollbar and to get in lift the whole roof up using "bonnet lifters"(technical term offcourse)
Here's a quik pic (made in paint, so shit)

Description
Description

[Edited on 5/12/04 by Crazy Jay]

posted on 5/12/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I would hinge the door/windscreen at the front just in case the unit isn't closed well at a speed of 80 mph you would be in for a surprise
scoobyis2cool

posted on 5/12/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, I seem to have confused some of you - the doors wouldn't be for my Indy, I'm looking at designing a new car from scratch, and was just considering the possibility of doors and a screen. Looks like too much hassle though, think I'll just buy a helmet instead!

Cheers

Pete

krlthms

posted on 6/12/04 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
I would hinge the door/windscreen at the front just in case the unit isn't closed well at a speed of 80 mph you would be in for a surprise

I had this happen to me in an Austin A30. The bonnet flew open at top speed (45 mph). Bang and everything gone dark! Was pretty scary at the time, but hillarious afterwords.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/12/04 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
my car has doors

ask if you need to know more....

atb

steve

Dale

posted on 6/12/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, any newer pics of where your at with your car. As my car progresses it seams to get farther away from a seven all the time. Been doing alot of scetching for different rear ends to the car ( I did it with a rounded rear frame first but not sure I like it now). So far of all the drawings that I have shown the wife and kids, they all like the one with the areo eight styled rear-- maybe an aeroseven in my future- still dont know what it would look like with cycle wings though.
Dale

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/12/04 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
at the moment it buried in my garage - altho in a few days I could drag it out and update the pics...... its been a long time coming!

Im running out of excuses not to start the front wings now.

atb

steve

internetautomart

posted on 18/1/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
at the moment it buried in my garage - altho in a few days I could drag it out and update the pics...... its been a long time coming!

Im running out of excuses not to start the front wings now.

atb

steve

You don't by chance have pics of your frame without the body pieces?
I want to also build a vehicle with doors. so any tips any tips/tricks will be most appreciated

Let me know if you need parts in the US

flyingkiwi

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like the BMW Z1, where the door retract's into the sill, kinda funky plus you can either have the door up, or down when driving. Rescued attachment atspeed.jpg
Rescued attachment atspeed.jpg

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Volvorsport

posted on 19/1/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
i plan to have doors and roof on mine , hinged on the screen frame , opening a la lamborghini .

Doors can be a simple affair if you have a flange all the way round which a normal door seal can fit , basically a frame of U section ally can be bent to the opening and made to fit quite snugly , fit some perspex in there for the window , choose some helicopter vents for ventilation .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/1/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
this is a pic of my chassis - im not a structural engineer, so proceeded the way i saw best. Its not folded in half standing on its wheels the last 2 years anyway!

Basically, I dropped the sides from (12 ins?) to I think 8.5 ins.

The whole section under the doors is doubled up inch section, to form an oblong box, with a 1.6mm steel plate welded on the inside. There is a lot of extra bracing into the rear bulkhead, and inch section X braces forward of the doors instead of the simple single round tube on a locost.

The door frame is then 'shaped' with 25mm strip just like the radius at the drivers shoulder is done on a std car.

The 'lip' at the extreme back of the base of the car has been chopped off.... i had ideas of mounting sierra suspsension from there but it didnt work.

an addition, not on the photo, is extra bracing at the front of the door. I have welded 3mm truncated triangles in the areas shown in red. There has also been an upstand tube added above that area to allow for a top hinge mount.

atb

steve Rescued attachment chassis.jpg
Rescued attachment chassis.jpg

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/1/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
with alu sides added.

i havnt taken a pic since the doors were put on.

if I was doing it again, id make the doors longer in the forward direction. Note its not really a locost, rather a morgan adaptation of one..... Rescued attachment side.jpg
Rescued attachment side.jpg

rusiq

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Doors

Take a look

<http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com/Photo%20Gallery/2005%20Gallery/2005_gallery_2.htm> Rescued attachment GT_SILV1.jpeg
Rescued attachment GT_SILV1.jpeg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.