Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Request for a picture of a x-flow flywheel
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/05 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Request for a picture of a x-flow flywheel

I know it's an odd request... but I think I've got an 'odd' flywheel on my engine. I went down to an Ipswich engine workshop on Saturday, endured a long and tedious monologue on why his life was so hard, then found that the ring gear he had didn't fit my flywheel anyway - at least, it didn't fit where the starter motor wanted it to fit.

So - can someone with a 1600 Ford Kent x-flow engine take a picture of the rim of his/her flywheel, where the ring gear sits.

The background is that my engine was originally fitted to an auto box, so when I bought it I was given the engine plus a spare flywheel. I suspect that this flywheel may have been a 'funny', so a photo of a standard one would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance,

David

rusty nuts

posted on 9/1/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
David , I think there was one on Ebay in the last couple of days, may a be worth a look , Perhaps you have found the cause of your starter problem?? Best I can do . Rusty
gazza285

posted on 9/1/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
One here

One here.

One other point though, although the ring gears are different for inertia and pre-engage the mounting diameter is the same size.

[Edited on 9/1/05 by gazza285]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 9/1/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
David,
There is a chance you've ended up with one from a mk1 XR2, I had one of these which had been lightened beautifully, on my 1700 X-flow - no way did it fit, so swapped for standard RWD flywheel.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Gazza,

Thanks for the photos - unfortunately they don't help me. I'll have to find a nice kind soul in the Ipswich area who can lend me a known genuine x-flow RWD flywheel so that I can compare the two (hint, plead, hint).

Rorty - what I have works, after a fashion. The problem I'm experiencing is a classic one, where the starter bendix jams in the unengaged position. Sometime a tap on the end of the shaft will free it, but often it's so hard jammed that I can't even wind it out on the bench enough to strip the mechanism. The only simple solution is to replace it.

My plan was to change to a pre-engaged starter while the engine is out, but it's like opening a can of worms...

Still, I have a week or two to investigate before I put my engine back together and into the car.

Thanks everyone,

David

gazza285

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
What are you after? I can give you the distance from the clutch face to the centre of the ring gear, or you can have the measurement from the rear block face to the centre of the ring gear if that will help.
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Both would be useful, although I won't be able to use the data until I get the engine rebuilt. Could you also measure from the block to the flywheel rim?
If I could be really cheeky, could you do me a picture taken looking straight at the edge of the flywheel, fairly close up? I want to get an idea of the cross-section at the rim.

Ta,

David

cidersurfer

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
David
I've just dropped some photos of my old Xflow flywheel in my archive. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it (8.5kg)
Chris

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

gazza285

posted on 9/1/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'll find out tomorrow as I'll have to stick them on the engine first.
David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Gazza - don't bother, Chris's 2nd picture seems to have solved the puzzle - unfortunately. The back (engine side) of the flywheel is quite different from mine, which has a distinct step on that side, where the pre-engaged ring would fit (see photo). The photo suggests that it may lie closer to the block than mine. My flywheel's 10kg as well, which is really on the heavy end of standard fittings. Buggerit!
Chris - it's a shame you're so far away (but your flywheel has seen better days, I think! ). Only being cheeky... most old flywheels need a skim on the clutch side anyway.

Still, it's solved the puzzle, anyway.

thanks to all,
David

[Edited on 9/1/05 by David Jenkins]

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Photo of my flywheel, block-side. Rescued attachment dscf0006.jpg
Rescued attachment dscf0006.jpg

stevebubs

posted on 10/1/05 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
David,

I think I've got a lightened xflow flywheel somewhere around in the garage.

Can have a look if you want. God knows what the postage would be, though.

Stephen

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Gazza - don't bother, Chris's 2nd picture seems to have solved the puzzle - unfortunately. The back (engine side) of the flywheel is quite different from mine, which has a distinct step on that side, where the pre-engaged ring would fit (see photo). The photo suggests that it may lie closer to the block than mine. My flywheel's 10kg as well, which is really on the heavy end of standard fittings. Buggerit!
Chris - it's a shame you're so far away (but your flywheel has seen better days, I think! ). Only being cheeky... most old flywheels need a skim on the clutch side anyway.

Still, it's solved the puzzle, anyway.

thanks to all,
David

[Edited on 9/1/05 by David Jenkins]

David Jenkins

posted on 10/1/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
David,

Stephen

I dread to think what 8 - 10kg would cost in postage! Plus the hassle of wrapping it in umpteen layers of cardboard to stop it bursting out of the packing, or stamping teeth marks on the world...
...no, for the time being, I'll have to keep looking locally.
Thanks anyway (and also to Chris & co.)
David

cidersurfer

posted on 10/1/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
For 10kg with PO Standard Parcels it's £9.62. Less cost for less weight, obviously .

I've posted a lot of stuff lately!

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Stephen - you have a U2U.

David

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
David,

Stephen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.