Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Momo steering wheel mods for SVA?
RazMan

posted on 26/1/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Momo steering wheel mods for SVA?

I have a Momo Steering wheel of the 'flat bottom' variety to allow more room for my legs (standard Sierra one touches my knees) I know that the Momo will not pass SVA so is there any mod to get it through? Is it just the alloy spokes that need to be covered or am I on the wrong track?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom_loughlin

posted on 26/1/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
it would probably just be easier to grin and bear it for sva (unless its hindering your movement) and swap it after the test.
Tom

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/1/05 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
go for sva with stock wheel.........a lot of hassel will be saved........see macspeedy sva.
We had to find one in Glasgow in a hour........and it was the wrong one we picked up first....another trip back to the scrappers

albertz

posted on 27/1/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am hoping to try and get through with my Momo 270mm flat bottomed wheel, simply because i cannot fit in the car with the standard Toyota wheel, never mind operate the controls!!

I am hoping to make some kind of padding up, thats looks permanent enough to convince the tester. Also my wheel does not have a centre horn button, so i plan to mount a small pushbutton on the dash. Hopefully there wont be any SVA problems with doing this?

BTW if anyone has pictures of an SVA compliant Momo wheel mock up then i would be delighted.

RazMan

posted on 27/1/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
I am hoping to try and get through with my Momo 270mm flat bottomed wheel, simply because i cannot fit in the car with the standard Toyota wheel, never mind operate the controls!!

A man after my own ..... size (probably)

I thought it just had to have all radiuseseses (sp) over 2.5mm so surely some kind of rubber trim around the flat spokes would do it ..... or am I just wishful thinking?

Edit: Or how about this little gizmo from Europa?

It would seem to cover all of the 'iffy' bits

[Edited on 27/1/05 by RazMan]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/1/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
All the tester at Derby was bothered about was the screw heads holding it together. He never mentioned the spoke radius (radii plural Raz ) on a Mountney wheel.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

albertz

posted on 28/1/05 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I think i will chance it for the SVA, if it fails it wouldn't be that serious to file a radius.

Put it this way - if thats all it fails on i will be happy

The Europa thing may be an option, probably quite pricey though?

Being 6'5" and 15 stone, its not easy trying to fit everything to suit me in a standard chassis, which begs the question why is it a standard chassis?......too far into it now to worry

Bananaman

posted on 28/1/05 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
The SVA pad for a Mountney wheel is £11 according to the latest Merlin Motorsport catalogue.

Cheers
Michael

David Jenkins

posted on 28/1/05 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a similar thing to my Astrali wheel - and I'm leaving it on, following a crash report from someone in the Suffolk area (sorry - forgotten your name! ). Amongst other injuries, his hands were carved up a bit by his wheel spokes.
It doesn't get in the way of my hands anyway, and looks tidy.
David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.