Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat Punto RWD conversion
brunocrossley

posted on 8/3/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fiat Punto RWD conversion

As above, does anybody know of an adapter or other fiddle to link a Fiat Punto/Cinquecento 1100 motor to a 5 speed RWD gearbox.

Ta Bruno.

theconrodkid

posted on 8/3/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
is that the FIRE engine?if so the 750 mc use them in rear wheel drive format,worth asking on there?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/3/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I did see a website where a chap stuck a ford clutch onto the FIRE flywheel, and with the engine vertical, literally dropped a type 9 onto the clutch until it engaged. He measured the gap between the faces, drilled a plate at the required thickness and reassembled the engine and box. Marked out the bolt holes and drilled them out. Apparently it worked, but I was a little apprehensive about copying it due to the 'agricultural' technique.

On the same search I found a 999 Fire fitted to a Sunbeam motorbike, no details on fitting though.

At the time I had an 85BHP fire just aching to go into a locost, but I found it much simpler to fit a pinto!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

niceperson709

posted on 8/3/05 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark
I would not be to aprihensive the method you describe is pretty well the standard way to make an adaptor plate as old as the idea of swoping engines and gearboxes as long as you can ensure that the centers of the crankshaft and gearbox shaft are aligned then it should work fine . I would aim to have the spigiot bush a snug fit to the front of the gearbox shaft and rely on that rather than the clutch plate for alignment though
Best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.