Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit car crisis again
Triton

posted on 22/5/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car crisis again

Sorry to drag it up again but i watched it again last night and oh deary me that will drag kitcars backwards rather than show how standards have been lifted in recent years.......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ray.h.

posted on 22/5/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
8k for the engine alone.I could build three locosts for that and probably have just as much fun.
chrism

posted on 22/5/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was quite funny that he has spent thousands on the engine and then for the oil cooler he is going to use duct tape on the cooler to adjust the cooling of the oil and not an Oil thermostat.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/5/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
£8k?! What is he putting in that thing?

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 23/5/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
In these circumstances I totally agree, but..................in autograss I know of a chap that has spent £25,000 on a Hayabusa engine.

He will probably win the nationals in his class (class 8), he'll certainly be top 3 nationally, but it does sound rather expensive!!

DaveFJ

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe I am showing my ignorane but that oil tank for the dry sump was massive, surely it doesn't need to be that big? (and only supporting it on three corners seems pretty silly)

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

David Jenkins

posted on 23/5/05 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - that oil tank mounting worried me as well - even if the tank is run half-empty it's still going to weigh quite a bit, plus all the pounding from the track...
...he doesn't have much mechanical sense, does he? I'm not talking about mechanical knowledge (you have to learn that) but the basic savvy that tells you that you don't mount something high and heavy at 3 points on small-section steel tubing.

DJ

donut

posted on 23/5/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

...he doesn't have much mechanical sense, does he? I'm not talking about mechanical knowledge (you have to learn that) but the basic savvy that tells you that you don't mount something high and heavy at 3 points on small-section steel tubing.

It's not just that either, look how he reacted when being driven in that yellow car, it scared the pants off him and he want's to race....against other drivers....who have had experience...good luck to the fella, he's going to need it!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

DaveFJ

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Having looked at the RGB site - it seems he didn't make the first couple of races of the season....

Sounds like some of the RGB lads have been round and helped him sort out the car though, now he has to learn to drive it !

Was watching with the missus at the weekend and it was obvious to both of us that he was starting way above his level. should have started with something a bit slower !! (maybe a 2cv ?)

Had to question the narator on the program though... will it really manage 0-90 in under 5 secs ??

Dave

andylancaster3000

posted on 23/5/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
With an 8K engine I would dam well hope so!! But I seriously doubt it, especially with road legal tyres. How quickly did that record breaking ultima take to get to 100? 90 isn't a lot less then that!

Andy

[Edited on 23/5/05 by andylancaster3000]

NS Dev

posted on 23/5/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ultima did 0 - 100 - 0 in 9.8 secs................................................on road tyres.............................

0-100 was a whiff over 5 secs!

just checked the data, Ultima did 5.067 secs to 90 mph, in 109.69 metres from the standing start.

[Edited on 23/5/05 by NS Dev]

andyharding

posted on 23/5/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
It will cost him £1000s to rent a crane to lift the finished car out of his back garden over his house and have telephone cables taken down.

It would have been cheaper to rent a garage and build it there. Or pay a kit manufacturer to let him build it at their shop.

What a dumb ass...

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

paulf

posted on 23/5/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I agree he is definitely a dumb ass in a lot of ways, but maybe not financially.He has obviously done it as a money making venture in conjunction with the TV program.
I have seen it mentioned that he will be paying for the car himself but how much is he making from being filmed building it and showing just how mechanicaly inept he is?.Surely the crane buisness is just to make better TV ie a drama out of a crisis?

Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
It will cost him £1000s to rent a crane to lift the finished car out of his back garden over his house and have telephone cables taken down.

It would have been cheaper to rent a garage and build it there. Or pay a kit manufacturer to let him build it at their shop.

What a dumb ass...

DaveFJ

posted on 23/5/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
the preview of next weeks episode shows him desperately trying to get his sponsors to cough up some cash........

Dave

andyharding

posted on 23/5/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
LMAO

Who in their right mind would shell out for a car before they got the money from the sponsors???

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Spyderman

posted on 23/5/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
The thing that amused me was when he was talking about the crane lifting the car over the roof.
He said he was concerned about the fibreglass body being damaged when lifted! Doh! Then leave the body off untill outside! Bloody rocket science this ain't it?

Spyderman

mad-butcher

posted on 23/5/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
did any-one notice the size of the shoulder on the rivnuts and the precise method of drilling the holes.
being a bit bias as i thing that martin from MK engineering makes a great product am absolutly made up at the wee taking about the quality of the dominator chassis and i'm also made up that alan from wlr had the sense to get out of it
tony

Jon Ison

posted on 25/5/05 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
ive not seen the programme yet, but i will as some kind gent on here is taping them all for me........

but one niggle i have is how can you spend £8k on an engine to run in a bog standard engined class, the regs state in no uncertain terms the engine and box must be as left the factory, the only slack is the clutch, mine took the usual route,

A) bike
B) breakers
C) car.

and £8k would cover 8 blown engines, for me anyway.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/5/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance I could send you a few beer tokens for a copy of that Jon?
Im struggling with the £8k engine too but I guess its possible to get close by sourcing a brand new busa lump (£3500?), dry sumping it with all the tarty bits (£1500), then get the engine stripped and blue-printed matching all piston weights within manufacturers tolerences so sticking within the regs (~£1000??), plus things like a Power Commander (£200), Reverie Airbox (£600), billet clutch centre (£200?) etc

Jon Ison

posted on 25/5/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
i'll sort it FOC Chris just cover postage and i'm happy,

Not that many RGB racers go too that length, some do but not many, there pretty potent motors out of the box.

BTW expect R1 prices too go up, the bhp as been raised for class b next season making R1 prob the engine of choice.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/5/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, much appreciated, is it on DVD or VCR?

Regarding blueprinting etc its a shame it cant be ruled out to cap costs but I guess its almost impossible to legislate against because in theory the perfect engine could come out of the factory in exactly the same state as a rebuilt and blueprinted engine, so unless you seal engines straight from the scrapper and don't allow rebuilds (which will up costs) then you can't really stop it.
I didnt see it for myself at Brands but Jim and a couple of others commented that Mike Field's car (with I believe a blueprinted engine) was noticably quicker on the straights than Tim Gray's. I spoke to Tim at Stoneleigh and he said that his is just a straight scrapper engine so probably is a few horses down compared to those that dont mind spending out on the engines.

Fingers crossed R1's won't go up too much (if at all!), although Im not planning on needing another one just yet! Im not sure how it will affect prices TBH, I dont recall the blades going up huge amounts when Class C first took off but I might be wrong?

cheers

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.