Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coloured Turtle wax
MkIndy7

posted on 3/6/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Coloured Turtle wax

Has anybody ever used the coloured turtle wax to try and hide small scratches?

Our bonnet flew off the other day and got grazed on the road, I've started with the T-cut and its looking a bit better.
I was just wondering if it was worth the £8!! I think it was for the coloured polish to try and hide it a bit better.

Any experiences with this polish or any other tips would be most appreciated.

Thanxx

Hellfire

posted on 3/6/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using that new T-Cut stuff in the tube? It actually recommends it for fibreglass gelcoats and aluminium and lots of other things.

Bad luck with the bonnet - it's happening a lot lately... what method of fastening were you using.

Glan Noye

posted on 3/6/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've never found these coloured polishes much good.Try wet flatting with 1500 wet and dry before cut and polish.You could try using a wax crayon to fill any small scratches,don't expect miracles though.Glan.
zetec

posted on 4/6/05 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Keep going with the T-cut. If the scratches are not thru the gel coat then try gentle wet and dry treatment to get the worst out first.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

MAB

posted on 4/6/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
My nose cone once fell off whilst the chasis was still on the stands. It had lots of scratches all over it and thought I was going to have to buy a new one.

Luckily a friend I know who works at a local body shop brought a proper low speed polisher (the type that looks like a large angle grinder) and used some dimond bright 2 stage polish..

10 minutes later, - all of the scratches were nearly all gone....

The polish doesn't really matter, - you need to get hold of a decent polisher as you just can't achieve anything like it by hand etc...

Regards, Mark.

Danozeman

posted on 4/6/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
By the coloured polish do u mean colour magic? That stuffs only good if the colours faded a bit. Otherwise bash on with the t cut.. The t cut stuff in the tube safe t cut i think its called is a bit dodgey. I used some on my car to remove a scratch on the bonnet. After id used it it took me a day of t cut and polish to get rid of the mark it left.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

indykid

posted on 4/6/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
for the scratches i've ended up with on mine, i've wet flatted them out using 1000 grit, then autosol, then auto glym.

it's amazing how quickly it shifts even a deep scratch. and you'd never tell afterwards. just waiting on some gel coat from snoopy after a slight whoopsie. hint hint charlie.

coloured turtle wax doesn't come in yellow, and even if it did, it's bloody useless.
hth
tom

[Edited on 4/6/05 by indykid]

MkIndy7

posted on 4/6/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Well thankyou for the mass of responces! Its looking alot better after continuing with the T-cut (pre 1980's by the look of the tin!)

We are using those Black rubber catches from lolo cost, RS etc.
Not sure why we lost it really, we suspect either the male part of the catch on the bonnet spun as it was only secured with 1 fixing, or my dad in his over eagreness to take some1 for a spin only did the catches up on 1side of the car!
And a 3rd posibility the bonnet holds the nosecone down so maybe the shape of the nose started to lift the bonnet.

Cheers all, will continue with the elbow grease!

MkIndy7

posted on 4/6/05 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just dared to have another look at the car, and its caught the bloody roll bar as well!
And the fly screen but I doubt there's much I can do with that.

Chipped the rollbar in a few places so i've tried using a small brush to touch it up with Plasticote paint, is there any way of polishing/blending this in?
would T-cut work again? (firm fan of the stuff now)

indykid

posted on 4/6/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
jenolite repaint is a surprisingly good match for the mk powdercoat in satin black.

you can probably get it from a variety of places, but surprise surprise, you can get it from halfords.
tom

bin the t-cut, get some rubbing compound.
autosol might shift the scratch on the screen too.

wilkingj

posted on 4/6/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use Farcleana (not sure on the spelling and I am not going to the garage at this time of night!) Pale Blue tin from A caravan place or a Chandlers.

Its for polishing scratches out of Caravan and boat Plastic / Acrylic windows. It works very well.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.