Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Proposed new road charges and other scary stuff....!!!!
jonbeedle

posted on 16/6/05 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Proposed new road charges and other scary stuff....!!!!

If the government manage to get the ridiculous road charges introduced by using satellite technology, it will cost me over £75000 a year to run my car before petrol and insurance costs. That will clear some of our roads of traffic won't it?
If we ALL stick together and refuse to comply though, what will they do I wonder?
We should be on our guard what with the proposed introduction of ID cards which will eventually have a chip containing all your personal information and satellite tracking which will track your every move, privacy will become a thing of the past!
Be afraid, this is the tip of the ice berg!!!!
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 16/6/05 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's bloody scary!

I'm sure people won't stand for it and say its against our fredom & liberty.
We should all go to London with half blue faces and shout 'FREEDOM' and wear kilts

Seriously though it's not on! Different road tax is one thing, plotting where we go and giving out tickets every time we speed is just not on!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 16/6/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
this scheem is so ridiclous it cant work,sure the technoligy is there but the logistics of collecting the loot put it back in the box.
remember the speed camera protest on the M4,peeps have had enough and will not let it happen,same with ID cards,they cant jail/take to court everyone that dosnt comply

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/6/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

,same with ID cards,they cant jail/take to court everyone that dosnt comply

Heard that before........remember SHARPVILLE.

I would just up and move to a country that wants my engineering skills. Aus would be swamped with Brits moving. With stupid political talk like this no suprise that some of the most popular tv programming is about emigration. Haveing moved a "few times" I wouldnt think twice about another move perhaps with a 41 foot Jeanneau Sun Legende.
The scary thing is we put them there one way or another.......

donut

posted on 16/6/05 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
You're dead right conrod. I would like to know how they will police these black box's. There will be those who will rip them out, brake them or use some other device to screw up the system. Plus making us pay for it...yeah right

If they impliment this i will expect riots like with the poll tax.

Big brother and 1984 ..............no thanks

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

theconrodkid

posted on 16/6/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
i have seen similar tracking devices,the drivers put some tin foil over the transmitter and oft you jolly well go

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ned

posted on 16/6/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
i have a feeling that the pay as you go insurance trial results may have an effect on this. basically a black both with gps that tells your insurer how far or in what areas you've driven your car, works on a pay as you go for car insurance.

my personal opinion is scrap the road tax and put it on fuel, at least then everyone pays for the distance you travel (including foreigners, who don't pay any roadtax in the uk!) then the little old lady will be saving money and it will be fairer on the rest of us too and not penalising us for where we live or the route we NEED to take to work...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

theconrodkid

posted on 16/6/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
but why add to the allready over-priced cost of fuel?
there is no other way to travel in lots of places,public transport when available is smelly,late and full of weirdo,s
you have to travel to go to work/shops/enjoyment etc,they know it and will milk us all they can

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Guinness

posted on 16/6/05 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ned has a good idea though, why not pop across the channel and by a car from an auction in France, back on the ferry and hey presto free motoring!!

Mike

dave dickson

posted on 16/6/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, it will come into force eventually, but it will be a complete nightmare to impliment.

The biggest problem will be many people refusing, buying old cars and not registering them correctly. Once in place, your insurance will probably be worked out with the help of the GPS system, so these people wont be insured either. fantastic. loads more people smoking about in unroadworthy, uninsured cars.

I dont see how the automated speeding fines would work either. Watch your speedo on your next commute to work. Ill bet that along with the majority of the users, you are a certain amount over the limit at most times. If automated fines are introduced, everyone will slow down for the first few days, then forget about it and suddenly millions of people will get points and bans. Nice little earner from the fines, but how will the economy cope with so many poeple being unable to drive? people wont be able to give up their licences, so will continue driving anyway. Fantastic, EVEN MORE illegal motorists.

As for me? well, Im going to move to a country where the climate is sunnier and the public simply would not stand for such schemes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.