Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper Seat Belt Mounts
Nick Davison

posted on 17/6/05 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Upper Seat Belt Mounts

I know this has been discussed many times before and I think I have read most of the threads recently
When I checked the height of the upper mount I have found it is too low for the seats I have fitted so I will have to do a bit of modification.

Most things have been covered in past threads but it is not clear that if I use a tube welded onto a bracket which is in turn welded onto the top 'O' crossmember, like the MK one in a past thread, must it be a threaded tube with a lock nut on the bottom or can it be a smooth bore with a suitable close fitting nut and bolt?

Will the tube have to pass through the plate and be welded either side or can it sit on top and have only one weld?

Also is there any guideline as to its maximum height above the welded in plate?

Nick

This is other Nick with the MK photo link. Thanks Nick. Nick
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=dscf00031.jpg

[Edited on 17/6/05 by Nick Davison]

Hornet

posted on 22/6/05 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Might not be of help to you m8.... but i think you are getting too complicated. The mounts only need to be "substantial" in otherwords... you design them however you want, as long as they will be strong enough.
I used bar tapped out to 7/16unf and bored right through the roll bar and welded top and bottom.

ady8077

posted on 22/6/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick

If your bolting to the roll bar, you have to use a crush tube welded top and bottom.
It doesn't have to be threaded, but if plane you have to use locking nuts underneath

Adrian

Nick Davison

posted on 27/6/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that chaps, I am using reel seatbelts and have gone for the raising the top mounting by an inch or so solution. It will detract from the clean lines of the bodywork a bit but will probably be lost between the seats.

Some one in past threads said that he would look at a mount and if he could envisage the car being able to be towed by it he considered it strong enough! Good analogy, I think I could pick up the car with the ones I have welded up.

Now all I have to do is find the time away from all the other domestic jobs to finish off putting it together, hopefully without WW3 breaking out again!!!!!

Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.