Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat Exhaust
Grahame L

posted on 15/7/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cat Exhaust

Advice Please!! My indy is nearly ready for sva and powered by a 2002 fuel injected blade engine. The exhaust I have was built by Martin Keenan and has not got a cat fitted!

Is it at all possible to get the car through the emissions test without fitting a cat? i.e. would it be possible to fit a power commander and tweek the fuel/ air to give the required results or is it just the case that you have to have a cat? If thats the case why hasn't the bike where I scavenged the engine from been fitted with a cat? Is this one rule for 2 wheels and another for 4??

Cheers

Grahame

Petemate

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - afraid so, one rule for 2 wheels & the other for 4. My lad's Dax for instance has a 2001 'Busa engine fitted. No cat on the bike, but as it is now in a car, it had to have a cat for SVA. God - what a job we had getting it through, we had a lambda kit and an air pump loaned to us by Dax. We fortunately had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a very helpful tester. Scraped through....
Petemate

Grahame L

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well !! looks like i'm in for some fun then trying to get it through!! By the way petemate was the busa engine fuel injected??
tks

posted on 15/7/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
pff

an injection one does think yuo that it is easyer....

and it will be, but if you lean the mixture..

the CO will go down..

but other gasses wil rise sky high...
sow i think its difficult..to let it run without cat...

all cars have an cat even if they have their manifold full of labda sensors..

altough i'm facing with the same problem..

Tks

[Edited on 15/7/05 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

evo3500

posted on 15/7/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ive just got my MK GT1 through sva cat tests,i fitted a small car cat at end of manifold,and fitted a late model R1 can with cat in it i effectivley had 2 x cats in the system,but had no lambda control or valve,i lagged all the manfold and exhaust in heat wrap to build up the heat.
I didnt touch my carbs,took for test failed,
but tester let me have aplay wound idle screws all the way in and backed them out quarter turns eventually 3 smoke tests later we got it within all emission requirments,my cat exhaust system cost me £25.00 and it worked i used a slightly damaged R1 can late model with cat £5 off e_bay,and car cat unKnown origin £10,one peice of advice I could give you is when the test is carried out tester will ask to clip on lead for rpm pickup
for smoke tester Machine tell him theres nowhere to connect it,so he will have to do it off your rev counter,as when connected to my coil ht lead there was a 1500 rpm difference his machine reading 3000rpm,my rev counter reading 4500rpm
like this it didnt pass but he agreed engine seemed to be reving high,so agreed to do it on my rev counter reading then it passed need any more help or pictures of my system let me no,I believe with your car being injection the only way to weaken the fuel mixture is by haveing an adjustable fuel pressure valve,as on cars that have injection there is a mixture screw on the airflow meter usually but i dont think the mixture is adjustable on a bike engine as i think its all controlled by the ecu.
Hope this Helps.

Regards Simon

Petemate

posted on 15/7/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the 'Busa is fuel inj.
HTH
Petemate

P.S. ATB!!!

Grahame L

posted on 17/7/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the advice and input!!

I think the best way for me is to go down the cat hiring route as Charlie suggested!!

Charlie! I know both you and Martin the cat exhausts for hire as Ive seen yours on the Kawasaki Green auto indy that went for its sva a month or so ago! The only problem is my end can is bolted underneath the car and yours is mounted on the side so I would have to do some unsightly cutting etc. Does Martins mount underneath as mine? I would rather avoid cutting the car about if possible.

Cheers

Grahame

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.