Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ARP BOLTS
grusks

posted on 26/7/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
ARP BOLTS

Just got all my zetec bottom end bits back from being lightened / balanced / etc.

I'm putting it all back together with ARP Bolts.

But not really sure on how tight to do them. Not said on the packet.

I rebuilt my cossy yb engine a few years ago and was told do them to normal lb (Haynes book) then go another 180 degrees . As far as i know the engine is still running.

So any ideas on a zetec.

Who's done what.

Conrod ?????

Flywheel ?????

Spence

Need More Money

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
For con-rod bolts...................

That is certainly NOT the right procedure, you are lucky everything held together, probably because of the very high quality of the bolts!!!

The procedure for Vauxhall XE bolts (which I think are the same size as the Zetec ones??anybody confirm??) is to either use a stretch gauge or........ (I don't bother with the stretch thing as it's a pig to get the micrometer in there and I have no stretch gauge)

Torque to 32 lbft and loosen again three times, then torque to 32 lbft a final time and leave it there.

Also be sure that there is enough of a chamfer on the rod cap to clear the larger underhead radius on the ARP bolts, on the Vauxhall I have to open up the chamfer a touch by hand with a large countersink tool.

[Edited on 26/7/05 by NS Dev]

davidwag

posted on 26/7/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

On ARP'S web site they recomend 36lb-ft with lube !

For zetec rod bolts part no. 151-6005

David

NS Dev

posted on 26/7/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
evidently not quite the same as the vauxhall ones.
kanscrx

posted on 27/7/05 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
And it's important to use the supplied lube with ARP's, since it does affect torque ratings.

On their US site, i know somewhere they give optional ways of tightening them down using a different lube, and using a gauge to measure bolt stretch.

NS Dev

posted on 27/7/05 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
That's dead right.

When I put my first Vauxhall XE engine together, I tried the mike the bolts up and then tighten and re-mike them to measure stretch, but in the confines of the bottom end of the block and with the arp grease all over the heads of the bolts it proved to be a pig to do so I settled for just doing the torque three times method.

kevip6

posted on 13/10/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I'm currently replacing the sump on my 2.0ltr black top zetec (Focus 2001).

I've had loads of conflicting advice as to which ARP con rod bolts i should use 8mm or 9mm. Has anyone fitted these to a black top zetec and if so which ones should i be using?

Thanks
Kev

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.