Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbones
morf1

posted on 20/8/05 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
wishbones

hi all
i got talking to a friend the other day about ordering some tube for my wishbones and he said it would be easier to use electrical conduite.

would this work or a bad idear

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/8/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
No way mate it's seamed and prolly not thick or strong enough.
I have been wondering about using it for the round sections at the rear though cause i can get some for free

James

posted on 20/8/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day the wishbones hold your wheels on. Don't take *any* risks with the quality of material.

Have a read of this thread:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=12587

Once you filter out the arguing and slagging off there's some interesting stuff!

Hope that helps,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Triton

posted on 20/8/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need expensive seamless tube for ' bones but conduit is asking for trouble...The oval tube everyone uses these days for 'bones is ERW......ie: nowt fancy, in fact my pc table from Ikea is made using oval tube

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 20/8/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
DONT use electrical conduit or gas pipe for anything structural... It's crap quality steel and also very soft...

Cheers

JoelP

posted on 20/8/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
2mm erw is adequate for normal use IMHO, but with other forms of tubing you never know the quality of the metal. Id avoid anything like this myself.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Honest advice buy the wishbones from any of the reputable Locost suppliers.
JoelP

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
and even wiser advice from the BT man...

you can spend hours making them with or without a jig, but myself, id rather go to work for a day and buy the full thing professionally made, with brackets.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

drlloyd

posted on 3/11/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure I completely agree with that. You could have the same attitude with the car, go to work for 18 months and buy either a kit or the complete car! I understand why you would buy the wishbones but I certainly wouldn't discourage anybody from having a go at making them themselves. They might even learn something!
Alan B

posted on 3/11/06 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good point, and I fully agree.....why be scared of making wishbones, when you will happily make your chassis?

The wishbones will be mounted to the brackets you have welded on.

Joel, I hear your arguement, and dr counters it well....it's all a matter of where you draw the line.....

Now, where did I see that link for making your own tyres?

quote:
Originally posted by drlloyd
Im not sure I completely agree with that. You could have the same attitude with the car, go to work for 18 months and buy either a kit or the complete car! I understand why you would buy the wishbones but I certainly wouldn't discourage anybody from having a go at making them themselves. They might even learn something!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t.j.

posted on 3/11/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drlloyd

3mmx 25 mm i'm learning !
Description
Description

[Edited on 3/11/06 by t.j.]

JoelP

posted on 3/11/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
you might have trouble there, as you weld it the gaps will close irrespective of what the jig says, and it will be quite hard to fit them to the brackets.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.