Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cam belt wrong? or timing>?
robbydee

posted on 30/8/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
cam belt wrong? or timing>?

just fitted a power pully to a 2.0 pinto now the engine runs but with hardly any power, idles well., and the pully is set to halfway..

Suggestions have i got the belt a tooth out? or timing?

just to add it did seem odd on cranking..(but was not sure wether the battery was a bit low..)

[Edited on 30/8/05 by robbydee]

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
if you've gone too the trouble of fitting a "power pulley" you need to go too the trouble of finding optimum timing, by...........

A) get your dial gauge and protractor out and set to whatever the cam manufacturer recommended then..........

B) get it on a rolling road, you could still prob find a bit more by swinging the cam timing a little.

If you are gonna do B you could miss out A but you need to do one or both.

Defo sounds like your cam timing is out.

[Edited on 30/8/05 by Jon Ison]

robbydee

posted on 30/8/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
was deffinatly heading back to the rolling road, but would have thought that half way on the vernier was the same as stock on the steel.
So was expecting little difference..

Ketchup

posted on 30/8/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
with the odd sound on crank and lack of power but a 'fairly' normal idle..my money would be on a tooth out..

Have experienced same thing on the same engine!

did u put new belt on at same time.. same amount of teeth on both?.. been caught out with that too.

[Edited on 30/8/05 by Ketchup]

Peteff

posted on 30/8/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the timing too advanced from the odd sound bit. Does it seem to stop the starter as it gets to compression?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/8/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yep i'm thinking along the same lines as peteff.
I have seen this on a pinto before. Does the engine offer to kick back the wrong way as well?
As the previous post you need to set it up with a dial gauge and a protractor just to be sure its right. You'll need to know the timing of the cam as well.

mark chandler

posted on 30/8/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good news on a pinto, you can't bend the valves with a standard cam. Strong idle, falt as a pancake = tooth out, for best results you need to centre that cam, ie crank at TDC, lobs on number 1 givening equel lift on both exhaust and inlet, then advance the cam by 5-7' and lock out. This gives a few up to 10% more bhp in the middle and loses a bit of top end.
robbydee

posted on 30/8/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
So grateful fot the replys... have just moved the belt one tooth on the vernier. will try the car tomorrow.. and book the rr session...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.