Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: round or square tubing
gorillamark

posted on 14/1/03 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
round or square tubing

sgraber

posted on 14/1/03 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
Square tubing. Much, much easier to work with.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 14/1/03 at 04:35 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, with a decent notcher and bender, you can lose the "much, much" bit and downgrade to easier, but in general I'd agree.

Square is cheaper and easier to attach brackets and sheet to, but round has a higher stiffness/weight ratio and is much "sexier", and is available in more grades.

There is nothing wrong in combining the advantages of both with a mixture of square and round.

There you go!......more questions than answers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ProjectLMP

posted on 14/1/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing I would add is that welded joints are a lot stronger with round tube than square. Virtually all serious motorsport chassis use a lot of round tubing. There must be a good reason for this.

With the right tools it isn't that hard to work with round given a bit of practise. I will use a combination of round and square on my project. In fact I will use as much round as I can for weight savings and because I can get better grade round tubing.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Rorty

posted on 15/1/03 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Round tube is stiffer than square tube of the same weight.
Working with round tube is actually easier than with square tube, it just takes a little longer.
It’s much easier to position things on round tube.
Suspension brackets etc will get a better purchase on round tube.
If you’re interested, there’s a page on working with round tube on my site.

Just in case someone comes directly to this thread, and hasn't read another thread on this forum which mentions square versus round tube, I thought I should correct the gaff I made here:
Above is what I should have said. I previously stated "round tube is stiffer than square tube of the same nominal dimension".

[Edited on 24/2/03 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

MrFluffy

posted on 15/1/03 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty, That tube section is worth reading, I never realized there was software for printing out fishmouth templates, ive always bloody struggled hand finishing them!
Rorty

posted on 16/1/03 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
Mr. Fluffy:
quote:

I never realized there was software for printing out fishmouth templates, ive always bloody struggled hand finishing them!

There are a couple of free programs for drawing round tube templates. I had one (Fishmouth) written for me years ago, but unfortunately it seems to have been corrupted, and I don't know the first thing about fixing it or re-writing it. I now have a commercial program to do the same job.
If you ever need any templates, let me know, and I'll run them out for you.

Cheers, Rorty.

philgregson

posted on 21/1/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but I had the problem with the front LOCOST wishbones of making the joints a good fit.

My solution was as follows:

1) Put 1" milling tool into chuck of lathe.

2) Put wishbone tube in jig in tool holder at correct angle to cutter.

3) Cut perfectly fitting joints.

Neat but not quick for one offs - any thoughts.

Cheers,

Phil.

Alan B

posted on 21/1/03 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philgregson
Just a thought but I had the problem with the front LOCOST wishbones of making the joints a good fit.

My solution was as follows:

1) Put 1" milling tool into chuck of lathe.

2) Put wishbone tube in jig in tool holder at correct angle to cutter.

3) Cut perfectly fitting joints.

Neat but not quick for one offs - any thoughts.

Cheers,

Phil.

Thoughts?....yeah, if you substitute the toolpost jig/clamp etc. for a quick release swivelling vee-block type arrangment you pretty much have a commercial tube notcher

I know that at least one time in the past that is exactly like the machine TVR used.

So, yes...damn good idea...

Rorty

posted on 22/1/03 at 04:54 AM Reply With Quote
It never ceases to amaze me how many totally unrelated people can come up with the same invention!
As you say, Alan, those milling notchers usually come with a V block vice on a compound slide. Most of the well-heeled race fabrication shops have them.
Other types are: the belt sander (with compound slide), the plunging hole saw variety, the die-in-a-press type, and the rotary indexer with gas axe/plasma profiler type.
Phil, for one offs, your setup sounds spot on.

Cheers, Rorty.

MrFluffy

posted on 23/1/03 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Phew, another good idea, Ive got the lathe already, just got to rig up a tube clamper to replace the toolpost....
Im going to end up using round tube for all of my chassis arent I? its inevitable, I can feel the pull of torsional stiffness and plain old sex appeal is winning against ease of use of square...

Alan B

posted on 23/1/03 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Another point about square tube's alleged "ease of use.........try to join square tubes of the same size at compound angles.....very difficult and always a bodge.....with round it's just another fishmouth.....
Rorty

posted on 24/1/03 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
Quite true Alan. I do agree, round tube does look better than square, but wouldn't be THE deciding factor for me. However, one of the best arguments for round tube, is indeed, the square-tube-compound-joint!
I don't know how good others are at visualising. I see everything in round tube, and that's half the battle....getting your mind around it.
Mmmmm round tube!

Cheers, Rorty.

kingr

posted on 24/1/03 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity, how much would a half decent tube bender cost, and where do you get them from? I had a look around on the net, and could only find computer controlled tube benders, great if you want to start an exhaust manifold manufacturing company, not so go if you haven't got bags and bags of cash to spend on that kinda thing.

Just think, with a tube bender, you could make a lovely chassis like the Robin Hood !!

Kingr

Alan B

posted on 24/1/03 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know what's available in the UK but I have a Pro-tools 105

http://www.pro-tools.com/mb105.htm

Which cost about $400 with a 1.5" x 6" CLR die...... IIRC.

There must be similar available in Britain I'm sure.

Rorty

posted on 25/1/03 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
There should be dozens of places in the UK which would stock the average lever/ratchet type bender. I ordered one through a tool shop at the back of the Quedam carpark in Yeovil years ago (can't remember the name of the shop or street).
I also used to order stuff from Frosts in Rochdale.
If you do find a supplier of benders or the bending dies in the UK, will you please let me know? I'm drawing up a home-made hydraulic bender for people to use with the plans I sell. The bender is designed to fit standard dies....hopefully the UK ones will be suitable too!

[Edited on 25/1/03 by Rorty]

Cheers, Rorty.

kingr

posted on 25/1/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well, there's a convenience, I live within spitting distance of Yeovil, so I'll have a look to see if they're still around sometime.

Kingr

kb58

posted on 26/1/03 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
I absolutely agree on the comments regarding square-tubing compound junctions. On my project there were only a few, and more than enough to convience myself to avoid square tubing wherever I can. And ditto the weight comment. 1" round compared to 1" square is lighter due to the shorter distance around, 3.14" vs. 4". Unless a panel is to be attached, I avoid them. And finally, yes, sex is involved, round is definitely more attractive.
MrFluffy

posted on 27/1/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ive had my eye on one of these... :-
http://www.northerntooluk.com/product_detail.asp?c1=Metal+Fabrication&prodid=14420E
90 quid...

Simon

posted on 27/1/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not a complicated device, but it's what I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=15257&ts=35625

Ad says 6 dies, but lists only 5. Think they're missing 1.5"

ATB

Simon

Alan B

posted on 27/1/03 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't want to your dampen enthusiasm, but that type of bender is only useful for really heavy wall stuff IMO...you will find that 16g wall stuff will collapse and kink....of course I don't know what you plan to bend, but they are really meant for heavy wall pipe....

Rorty explains it well...

http://www.rorty.vze.com/

in the tube work section.

Rorty

posted on 28/1/03 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't get MrFluffy's link to work, so can't comment.
Simon, as AlanB says, that is totally the wrong tool. It won't bend your tube, it will just fold it!
Only buy a bender if it's for TUBE, not PIPE, as there's a world of difference.
Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Rorty.

garethpowys

posted on 2/2/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Don't want to your dampen enthusiasm, but that type of bender is only useful for really heavy wall stuff IMO...you will find that 16g wall stuff will collapse and kink....of course I don't know what you plan to bend, but they are really meant for heavy wall pipe....

I've found that a very good way of preventing kinking and/or collapsing when bending tube is to fill the tube first and cap the ends. When making exhaust headers we used sand, but I have heard of people using molten lead. Not sure about the latter from a health and safety POV though.

Gareth

Rorty

posted on 15/2/03 at 04:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard of plumbers in the old days using lead shot for filling large dia pipes, but you'd need some pretty good gloves to handle pipe filled with molten lead!
If you don't fancy bending round tube for your chassis, you could always use donuts. The bloke who spins my wheel halves also spins donuts for my exhausts, which lets me create some really tight headers that conventional benders can't approach.

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.