Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HID Headlights query
RazMan

posted on 25/11/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
HID Headlights query

I'm thinking of using some HID lights as an alternative to the halogen flavoured ones.
Has anyone used them? Are they ok for Mr SVA?
As far as I understand, the wiring is fairly straight forward and you just treat them as normal lights (the igniter packs are prewired in the units themselves) There is an auto-levelling system involved (very posh) and I think this is where I'm going to come unstuck - does anyone know how this works?

As usual, any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 25/11/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
You do like to make things difficult for yourself, don't you?

From thr draft manual:-

"Check
a. each dipped beam headlamp system where the
light source is produced by ‘gas discharge’
either
• is accompanied by evidence of compliance
with the technical requirements of UN ECE
Regulations 98, 99 and in respect of those
lamps the installation requirements of
regulation 48.01, or
• incorporates the following equivalent
characteristics
- is "E" or "e" marked,
- dipped beam remains on when mainbeam is
on,
- is fitted with a wash system,
- is fitted with an automatic headlamp self
levelling system."

I'm not sure about the "either" at the start. Would be well worth a call to your local inspector before spending the cash?

HTH Mike

Kowalski

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like it has to have european type approval. If you "borrow" the HID headlights off a car that normally has them and fit them as a complete unit to your locost, you'll be ok, fitting HID bulbs to anything else will depend on how thorough the SVA inspector is.
caber

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
This technology is just way overpriced compared to any other HID lamp technology the real question is why bother as the effective light output is not a great deal more than good tungsten halogen set ups. Basically what you can achieve is smaller less efficient lenses and reflectors just for the look, oh dodn't forget the LED glowing reflector rims!

Caber!

SixedUp

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I like the thought of the HID setups, but from what I've seen, a really good halogen setup is not far behind in performance terms, and is going to be both cheaper, and way easier to get past Mr SVA. The problem, of course, is that most halogen setups are anything but good quality.

You want some good quality optically aligned bulbs (Philiips do these - I got some for my Tiger and they transformed the headlights) and some good quality reflectors. Look for the usual up-market suspects.

The result will be a huge improvement over what you are used to, though you still won't have the "instant on" blue-tinged light of the HID systems. But, are you posing, or driving?

If you're interested drop me another email and I'll look out the reference numbers for the actual bulbs I bought, and the supplier (they were very good value for money at the time) I got them from.

Cheers
Richard

raccoonradar

posted on 25/11/05 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
if they are coming from a vehicle with them as standard equipment it will be one hell of a job, the ones I know about from work fitted as extras from factory on Jaguars are leveled from the sensors on the suspension
& cost well over £1000 if someone selling them for less than a batman mask & a lolly pop you work out if they are the same ???

Peteff

posted on 26/11/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Are you going out in the dark a lot?

I have ordinary H4 bulbs and can see well enough with them. If your lights are designed for a certain type of bulb, putting something else in can change the beam characteristics.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 26/11/05 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a little bit of Google research into HID lights and it all seems to be good as far as I can see.
HID lighting provides about three times the light output of standard halogen headlights while using less energy. They are designed to last up to ten times longer than standard halogen lamps.

Having driven a car with HID lights, even my daily driver's uprated halogen setup (Which I thought was the dog's danglies) seems positively pathetic by comparison.

The units I am thinking of using are from a BMW Mini (therefore E marked) which by remarkable coincidence is what my Aeon GT uses (after I reprofiled the front end to make them fit) The main drawback is the self levelling system which will be a b*tch to set up properly. Next is the washer system which takes enormous quantities of water from my incredibly small (but SVA compliant) water washer bottle.

To cut a long story short, it is probably best to get through SVA on the halogen lights and then they can 'fall off' after the test and get replaced by the HID units minus the self levelling system which is not required for subsequent MOTs. The washer system will also mysteriously dissappear and I'll clean the headlights the good old fashioned way.

Oh and is it costly? .....I just bought one HID unit complete with Ballast and igniter pack for £1.21 ....... Isn't Ebay a wonderful thing! Just need to find a similar bargain and I'm sorted.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 27/11/05 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
this one...?

RazMan

posted on 28/11/05 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
That's right Steve - I have done a bit of searching in the completed listings on Ebay (always a good guide for realistic prices) and several of these light units are going for around £30 each! When you consider the price of them when ordered with a new BMW Mini it is an amazing deal (or amazing depreciation I suppose)
Either way the Mini driver's loss is my gain!

Cheers,
Raz

Genesis

posted on 10/12/05 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
Raz - just for the record.

HID need a cleaning system as they are full of what I think is halide (a poisonous gas). If the lenses aren't clean there is a fair chance you will get temperature increase and possible explosion. These lamps were invented in the 1920's but never put into practise as they were dangerous... amazing how they ever get on the road now with COSSHH, HSE, ISO and BSi - I believe there is also a disposal charge for the units when Kaput...

Going fishin'

RazMan

posted on 10/12/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the only cleaning system that is required with HID lights (at least for SVA anyway) is a water wash. This is due to the fact that they can dazzle other drivers if the exterior lenses aren't perfectly clean.

In theory disposal is similar to a lot of other 'modern' devices. Fluorescent tubes shouldn't be put into normal rubbish due to health concerns, photocopy toner and printed circuit boards too. I am sure that one or two spent HID bulbs will find their way into domestic rubbish in the future.

Cheers,
Raz

MikeRJ

posted on 12/12/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
AFAIK the only cleaning system that is required with HID lights (at least for SVA anyway) is a water wash. This is due to the fact that they can dazzle other drivers if the exterior lenses aren't perfectly clean.

They dazzle other drivers irrespesctive, I hate getting blinded by oncomming HID lights in country lanes.

omega 24 v6

posted on 12/12/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if you check up ,then these types of lights can only be used with a headlight leveling system.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.