Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What should I use?
matt_baxter

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
What should I use?

Hi, I thought I would ask the experts as its my first time making a locost.

Ideally I would like my locost to be bike engine driven but a lot of people I have spoke too (only a couple have any experience) recon that as it is my first time making a car that I should just try to make it as simple as possible and usethe engine and as many bits as posible from a sierra or something similar to try to make it a little easier

Could you please advise me where the best place to start is?

[Edited on 31/12/05 by matt_baxter]

kev R1

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
get a bike engine, job done

steve_gus

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a swift route, buy a partial kit such as the MK indy and use the sierra as you suggested.

One thing to take into account is what kind of car do you actually want?

If you want to scream everywhere at maximum power, and build a minimalist car with no windscreen, heater, spare wheel - basically a racer for the road - use a bike engine.

If you want to use the car for more 'orderly' driving, and long distance work, go the car route.

Seems this choice is important as it dictates the character of the car. BEC builders on here have regretted using a bike engine, others have not.

depends what you want.

If you feel that you only have a limited time and budget, go sierra and partial kit. At least with an Indy you get most of what you need in the sierra - a bike engine will cost 600-800 quid, then you have to make / buy adapters for prop shafts, engine cradles, etc.

A luxury would be to wait until a kit show comes up, and then ask around or look at whats on the stands.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Paterson

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
depends on how "exotic" u want it really, trouble is once u start u never stop. Donor car cheapest route, BEC a wee bit more expense especially if you go down the route of dry sump etc. A lot will depend on your Scrounging ability and if your determined enough to build own chassis.
froggy

posted on 31/12/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
if you are picking up your kit on saturday im sure there will be people up at mk with their own cars to take you out and show you how the bec and car engined cars differ
Hellfire

posted on 31/12/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The first thing you need to decide, is how much you can afford to spend on your build. Secondly, which engine to use. Try and get a ride in a few variants, both bike and car engined and then decide what's best for you.

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe there's someone nearby willing to take you for a spin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.