Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: chinging to one of those tiny cases
Messenjah

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
chinging to one of those tiny cases

ok i want to change my pc atm its in a tower case but i want to have one of those little cases like th epic below

i know ill need a new motherboard but i dont know what one

ok heres what my pc has got at the moment

processor = amd athalon xp 2800
ram = 1024 mb
graphics card = radeon 9600 pro
crappy sound card any suggestions fairly cheaply ??

and a network card that cost me £10

i just need a motherboard and a case but i dont know what i need to get or how much it will cost or where to get it from

anyone help ?? o and ive got a couple of power supplies floating around but if i need to get a small one it isnt a problem

Dillinger1977

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
if you're getting a new motherboard, chances are it'll have a soundcard + network card built in.

-Rog

Peteff

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Some mini cases I've seen have the motherboard built in, including sound and graphics so you need to add drives, processor and memory to make a functioning computer. Shuttle and Soltek are the ones I'm thinking of, the one in your picture looks a bit bigger, like a mini atx which would take a mATX motherboard, which will have network and sound onboard and optional graphics as stated above. Ethernet cards are only about £3.

[Edited on 9/1/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RazMan

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got two mini computers which I built. One is a Shuttle and the other is an Epox 'Mini-me'. They both use 3.2Ghz P4 processors, 1Gb ram, 200Gb hard drives. They also have everything on board - 5.1 sound, networking, 6 usb ports, MP3 player, card reader etc etc so they are really top notch systems.
Why anybody wants a full sized now days is beyond me.

Go for a 'barebones' system and you get everything you need - just add your own memory, drive etc and you will be up and running in no time.

Have a search on www.ebuyer.com for some good deals

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
shuttle best but £££££

look for a ez buddy very reliable sold 100's never had one back

stevebubs

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto on the shuttle - love mine - very quiet, too....until you turn the speakers on...
viatron

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Shuttles range here, luve em to death.
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamieG

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Should be able to whack your old ram hard drive and cpu into a shuttle case pretty easily , the barebones ones come with motherboards which have (usually) sound network and graphic onboard.
If your tower case is going spare, would yo be interested in flogging it? one of my pcs is just spread out on a desk at the moment!

Messenjah

posted on 10/1/06 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
as it happens ive got a spare tower case sitting beside me its not a full size one its a weird size

space on the front for 2 cd size drives and one floppy

and its shorter

Messenjah

posted on 10/1/06 at 03:51 AM Reply With Quote
anyone tell me how much yyou think i can sell my pc for

2.8 ghz amd athalon processor
1024 mb ram
radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card
cd rw drive
dvd rom drive
new hard drive of your choice

installed with your choice of windows 95 or xp professional , office xp , photoshop and nero

bimbleuk

posted on 10/1/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Always worth searching on tomshardware.com as they regularly do group tests on cases etc
RazMan

posted on 10/1/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Messenjah
anyone tell me how much yyou think i can sell my pc for

2.8 ghz amd athalon processor
1024 mb ram
radeon 9600 pro 128mb graphics card
cd rw drive
dvd rom drive
new hard drive of your choice

installed with your choice of windows 95 or xp professional , office xp , photoshop and nero

Unfortunately you will be competing aginst companies like Dell who now do complete systems including monitor for less than £300. These are also a much higher spec than your pc so you are probably better off keeping it or passing it on to a friend or family member.
I used to make a living out of building systems about five years ago (when it was profitable) but had to switch careers when they became almost disposable

Your system will still be useable though - anyone who has an older one can only use it as a doorstop!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.