Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet Vents
Smartripper

posted on 21/1/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet Vents

Hello,

Because a ZX12-R engine is very hot by nature.

Will it help i've i cut some bonnet vents at this space ???

They will be 7 x 4 cm big.

Smartripper Rescued attachment klaar.jpg
Rescued attachment klaar.jpg

rusty nuts

posted on 21/1/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah , cut the bushes down as well
stevebubs

posted on 21/1/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - will help with underbonnet temperatures

Will also help with the tendency a bonnet has to start to try and lift at high speeds - pressure will be released out the side rather than be kept in the engine bay

piddy

posted on 22/1/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yes it will make a big differents. Another way is to wrap the exhaust that is under the bonnet in exhaust wrap stuff.
Hellfire

posted on 22/1/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a couple of things we did to get the temperature down on our ZX12

1 - Put Water Wetter in coolant
2 - Used expanding foam in nosecone, to direct all the air that enters the nosecone through the radiator
3 - Bonnet vents to allow hot air to escape. Like this

[img][/img]

C10CoryM

posted on 22/1/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you are trying to lower the coolant temp the best way is to properly exhaust the radiator.
You have to remember that all the air going into the rad has to get out somewhere.
Ideally you will have a sealed intake into the rad then route some ducting to the outside of the car ( the sides usually).
This will also lower your ambient underhood temp as well because all that hot rad exhaust is no longer underhood.
To further lower the ambient temps you use vents and heat wrapping.
Cheers.

[edit] added some pagebreak things to make it easier to read.

[Edited on 22/1/06 by C10CoryM]

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 22/1/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
My only concern with putting the vents there is if something goes under the bonnet, you're going to get hot oil / steam vapours straight in the face....especially with just a flyscreen for protection

Looks nice, though....

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Heres a couple of things we did to get the temperature down on our ZX12

1 - Put Water Wetter in coolant
2 - Used expanding foam in nosecone, to direct all the air that enters the nosecone through the radiator
3 - Bonnet vents to allow hot air to escape. Like this

[img][/img]

Hellfire

posted on 22/1/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's surprising just how effective the aeroscreen is, at deflecting bugs and stuff over your head. Anything that does get through, meets the second line of defence - The helmet visor.

Smartripper

posted on 22/1/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice, soo i'am going too make some holes in the bonnet then...

i don't like the idea off cutting holes in the fibreglass but with a good template and a router in think it will work out oke..

After that just black mesh behind it....

Smartripper

02GF74

posted on 22/1/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
what abouot fitting ali sheet to the underside of the engine bay to seal it? air comes in via nosecone, and then exits via the vents and tranmsision tunnel or wouldthat be too restrictive?
locost_bryan

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to put vents at the front of the bonnet (side and top), with ducting behind the radiator to direct the air through them.

Have the vents at the rear as well to aid cooling the engine and exhaust. Allow some cool air to bypass the radiator and duct it into the engine bay.

This would separate the radiator from the engine bay, and help to keep the engine cooler too.

Another bonus for vents on the top of the bonnet, is it improves the aero. All that trapped air trying to lift the bonnet is effectively pushing the front of the car away from the ground! Venting it our the top (like Donkervoort do) should at least neutralise the lift, if not give some downforce (it should also give less drag from all that turbulent under-bonnet air hitting the vertical footwells and being squeezed out under the floor!)

That's my theory anyway...

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

C10CoryM

posted on 23/1/06 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with no rad exhaust ducting is that all that air ends up stuck under the hood at speed and creates a high pressure area. This high pressure area trys to lift the hood and the car creating lift. You need to either vent all that air, or keep if from getting there in the first place.
Generally the air is ducted to the sides of the car because it doesn't affect the downforce of the car to blast all that air out the sides. Ducting air under the car creates lift because you are again increasing air pressure under the car. Ducting it out the top is better, but it can disturb the airflow over the car creating drag, probably not a big deal on a locost.
For the cooling aspect, any air going in, has to get out just as easy for optimal cooling to happen. Take a look at Lemans cars. Most of them have a very small inlet in front, with massive exhaust ducts just behind the front wheels. They also duct the front diffuser and wheel wells there.
Ideally you should have the smallest inlet required, with oversized exhaust. Seal the bottom of the engine bay so no air gets in from underneath and run small vents underhood just in case.

BTW, the vents on Hellfires car are not the best idea if you are running a full size windscreen. There is a high pressure area at the cowl (scuttle) and it will either slow down air coming out, or stuff air in. Cowl induction works on that principle.
Very nice looking vents though Hellfire, they suit the car well.
Cheers.

[edit] When I say hood, I mean bonnet. Always forget that one . Also I should mention that having your rad fan shrouded so that it is pulling/pushing air through ALL of the rad and not just a small area is required for optimal cooling in traffic. You would be suprised at how much that helps.

[Edited on 23/1/06 by C10CoryM]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 24/1/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
What a load of ballony gets talked about air pressures and aerodynamics!
First off, no amounts of increasing the underbonnet air pressure will cause lifting of car/bonnet of any sort. It is only the high speed low pressure air that flows across the top of the bonnet that will cause it to lift. So fit as many vents as you like, it won't change! If you don't believe me try cellotaping, across front edge, a piece of paper to the table and then blowing across it. The paper will lift even though air can not get under the front.

Venting the engine bay would best be achieved with vents as near to the radiator as possible and preferably alongside the front wheels. This is due to this area being a low pressure area where the air travels fastest between wheel and body. Vents across the front of the bonnet area would also be good for expelling hot air as well, but would most probably interfere with any intake for engine if this is in bonnet.
Vents nearer to the scuttle although effective at low to medium speeds become less effective as the speeds increase due to turbulence, particularly when a full screen is used. However the opposite may be true for side vents at the rear of the engine bay as airflow increases with increase in speed so their effectiveness increases.

Sorry about the rant, but it is one of my pet subjects!

Terry

Spyderman

C10CoryM

posted on 24/1/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well, You will have to explain how it is "ballony" to me. Unless things work different on your side of the pond, lift/downforce comes from high pressure areas trying to get to the low pressure areas. Far as I know there is nothing you can do about the high speed low pressure area above the bonnet other than drive slow. Screw that! You can however do something about the the low speed high pressure area under the bonnet which is why it actually matters and why I talk about it. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you have low pressure on top of the bonnet, and higher pressure underneath it, the bonnet is going to try to lift. Since the car is attached to the bonnet, it will see some lift as well. Same reason why you want to reduce the pressure undercar as much as possible so that the high pressure areas on top of the car (front spoiler,cowl, rear spoiler) push down on the car trying to get into the low pressure area.

Rob Palin

posted on 24/1/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
You missed a trick there Spyderman - you could have said that a lot of hot air was talked about aerodynamics.

What Locost_Bryan and C10CoryM are saying is perfectly true and unfortunately it is you who are mistaken on this occasion.

The lift force which acts on the bonnet is due primarily to the pressure underneath being raised above the ambient static pressure by the air coming in through the front of the car. The static pressure above the bonnet is not actually much different from that a long way away from any influence of the car or its movement (though admittedly that above the front half of the nose will be lower).

The explanation offered about how the lift originates strikes me as coming from the common misconception that Bernoulli's relationship between air speed and pressure means that pressure drops when air is moving fast. The crucial detail that is absent from this statement is how the air got to be going fast in the first place.

If the air is accelerated by a fan or suchlike then the Static Pressure need not increase but the Dynamic Pressure (related to the momentum of the air) will increase. The sum of the two - unsurprisingly called the Total Pressure will increase. The misconception i mentioned is that people refer to the expression with Total Pressure as a constant but they miss out the rest of the accompanying information which explains that this is an extra criterion which actually describes a special case intended to make the maths simpler in some situations and not a true generalisation. Bernoulli's full equation is not a simplification of the physics but cut-down versions of it are often presented as being the full thing. The man himself wouldn't have been impressed with how his work gets misrepresented.

If the air is otherwise still but is forced to accelerate to effectively move out of the way of an approaching obstacle then it can 'borrow' from the static pressure to give itself dynamic pressure i.e movement. This is when the static pressure drops. I realise this sounds like the air is alive and thinking about what it's doing but the detail of why all this happens isn't really appropriate here (also i don't understand it fully either!).

The pressure around the top of the nosecone is low because the air is accelerating around the convex surface curvature. When it gets onto the flat part of the bonnet it slows back down and the dynamic pressure it borrowed gets paid back into static pressure. If the bonnet is long enough and flat enough then the air returns almost to its undisturbed condition and the static pressure will be near as dammit the same as atmospheric pressure.

Exit louvres are best placed somewhere around the middle of the nosecone or the front of the bonnet. After that you do not get any 'pull' from the air flowing over those surfaces and you have to rely soley on the 'push' from the high pressure air coming in through the nose inlet.

Vents near the scuttle will only be effective outlets when the car is stationary or moving very slowly and the air flow is driven by convection or a cooling fan (when they act as chimneys). Otherwise pressure builds up in front of a concave corner like the bonnet/windscreen join and this will be the case at both medium and high speeds. It has nothing to do with turbulence, sorry.

Cheers

Rob
(This is a pet subject for me too. And a profession, as it happens.)

Hellfire

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
The bonnet vents on our Indy do the same job as the bonnet vents on this.

Description
Description

OK, slightly different cars aerodynamically I know.......

chriscook

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
That SLR has vents on the side too, just behind the wheel arches
Hellfire

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
So does ours, only its not a vent as such. More of a gap.......

Spyderman

posted on 25/1/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I did do a longer reply, but it got lost and I can't be arsed to do it again!

The gist of it was. I am not trying to impress everyone or turn them into experts, just trying to get them to understand some simple concepts in a way that they might understand without too much research!

Terry

Spyderman

Rob Palin

posted on 25/1/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Terry,

Clearly you had the best intentions but your explanation was incorrect and therefore potentially misleading. All i wanted to do is clarify things a bit.

What is going on when you blow over a piece of paper held at one end is very different from what's happening over a car bonnet. The paper thing is explained quite neatly here:

http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/spins.html#sec-coanda

Cheers

Rob

locost_bryan

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
First off, no amounts of increasing the underbonnet air pressure will cause lifting of car/bonnet of any sort. It is only the high speed low pressure air that flows across the top of the bonnet that will cause it to lift. So fit as many vents as you like, it won't change! If you don't believe me try cellotaping, across front edge, a piece of paper to the table and then blowing across it. The paper will lift even though air can not get under the front.

Experiment 2. Get a show box with a lid. Put a hole in the end of the box. Poke the hose from your vacuum cleaner in the hole. Turn the vacuum cleaner on to blow. Now, where's the lid gone? Blown right off, it has! (unless you used Dzeuss fasteners )

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

locost_bryan

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
That SLR has vents on the side too, just behind the wheel arches

it also has a much more laid back windscreen.

just take a look at the reversed bonnet scoops on many 70's and 80's thundersaloons, that took a cold air feed from the base of the windscreen

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Rob Palin

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Also worth considering that even McLaren's mighty aerodynamics experts may have lost out in a road car development process to the all-powerful force of the stylist. They rule in F1 but for road cars the stylist is king.

About 50% of my job is fixing problems with cars which have arisen through someone somewhere deciding that it's either prettier or perhaps cheaper to compromise on the aerodynamics. Even the big names occasionally make such mistakes. Can't complain though - keeps me off the streets!

Hellfire

posted on 26/1/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman

Experiment 2. Get a show box with a lid. Put a hole in the end of the box. Poke the hose from your vacuum cleaner in the hole. Turn the vacuum cleaner on to blow. Now, where's the lid gone? Blown right off, it has! (unless you used Dzeuss fasteners )

Sorry but I can't see how that has anything to do with aerodynamics and bonnet lift on a seven style car. Maybe if you were to repeat that experiment but instead, take the bottom out of the box, cut a few small holes in the sides and then a few small holes in the lid and then hold the vacuum cleaner nozzle a foot or so away from the box, I doubt very much that the lid would blow off.

Phil

locost_bryan

posted on 26/1/06 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Sorry but I can't see how that has anything to do with aerodynamics and bonnet lift on a seven style car. Maybe if you were to repeat that experiment but instead, take the bottom out of the box, cut a few small holes in the sides and then a few small holes in the lid and then hold the vacuum cleaner nozzle a foot or so away from the box, I doubt very much that the lid would blow off.

Phil

aerodynamics and seven in the same sentence?

If you cut the bottom off the shoe box, then the whole box would lift off the ground (like a hovercraft).

The original post related to vents for removing under-bonnet air.

The problem with the Seven/Locost is that air is forced in through a small opening at the front and is vented out through the bottom of the engine bay. This creates some lift and a hell of a lot of drag!

That was what Experiment 2 was intended to illustrate (finding a pointy shoebox and a really powerful vacuum cleaner might be a bit of a challenge!)

Experiment 1 (blowing over a piece of paper) is also somewhat flawed unless you've made an origami Locost

I'm sure someone has the formula for figuring out how big the outlet vents need to be - the size of the nose inlet multiplied by a factor for the heat absorbed.

No doubt the Locost nose is far from optimum!

[Edited on 27-1-06 by locost_bryan]

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.