Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear change set up
GregMcN

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Gear change set up

Does anyone have photos of an MNR gear change set including cable routing and brackets? The newer chassis have brackets already welded in place but mine does not so I am struggling to see how it is set up. A bracket near the lever should not be too difficult but no idea for the engine end.

Thanks Greg

smart51

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry no pics but a description.

My cable outer is bolted to the bracket in the tunnel jsut forward of the lever mounts. the cable then goes into the engine bay through a right hand turntowards the brake master cylinders. it then curves up and over so that it points towards the gearshift arm on the engine. I have an L shaped bracket from MNR which the cable outer bolts on to. It is held to the aluminium panel on the front of the driver's foot well by two bolts. Two is importat to stop it twisting, I found out. Big P clips riveted to the aly hold the cable. You have to avoid fouling the brake fluid reservoir, depending where you mount it. Also, keep the radius of the curves as big as possible.

Howlor

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I will take some pics and post them for you later.

Steve

Dillinger1977

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
mine had a tab mount welded as part of the chassis on the gear level side, but nothing on the engine side.
I tried a big bracket mounted to the driver side footwell panel but as it was quite long to reach the r1 lever it flexed a little bit so was too spongey.

Marc did me a proper 'box' one thats seen on his r1 race car, which uses 2 halfs of a tube to clamp onto the round chassis bar that runs alongside the engine, this seems to work much better.
(as much as i can tell from trying to change gears when stationary!)

i'll get pics later on.

-Rog

Howlor

posted on 13/3/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi hope these help. I also have a aluminium angle section bracket across the top of the tunnel about 6 inches from the gear stick lower pivot. Rescued attachment DSCF0139.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0139.JPG

Howlor

posted on 13/3/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
And another! Rescued attachment DSCF0141.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0141.JPG

GregMcN

posted on 13/3/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the photos Steve that gives me a much better idea. Looks like you do need quite a substantial bracket.

Greg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.