Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra handbrake problem.
wilkingj

posted on 1/4/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra handbrake problem.

I have sierra rear discs, (and calipers!).
All parts are brand new.
I have bled the brakes today for the first time on this car.
The footbrake is fine on all 4 wheels.

however on hooking up the hand brake it is not working on one wheel. One side is fine. The other does nothing.

I do appreciate these are supposed to be self adjusting calipers.
How do I advance the ratchet or whatever it is to get the hand brake to work on the one side that doesnt work.

ie is it plenty of stamping on the footbrake, or lots of operating on the handbrake to take up the adjustment on the side thats not working. I am not sure which one takes up the slack on the handbrake mechanism.
Thanks in advance

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff, release the handbrake cable adjustor then take out free play between the caliper and pads by rotating the caliper piston out using the 2 holes provided . Try for approx 0.006" clearance. Readjust handbrake . That should sort out problem. HTH
britishtrident

posted on 1/4/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely cause is the handbrake is over tensioned this stops the self adjuster working -- give it a lot of slack cable and try pumping the pedal again. Then set the cable tension as per Sierra manual.
wilkingj

posted on 1/4/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I read the manual, but didnt get the drift!.
Its the foot brake that works the adjuster, but you need some cable slack to make it work right. I can see the problem.

Thanks..
Dont get these new fangled self adjusting things on a Land Rover... You just need a 4Lb hammer and a bread knife to adjust with!

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chazzy

posted on 2/4/06 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
did it work? I alwAys have probs at MOT time on the handbrake efficiency, even though foot brake os OK. I have a big differenec between sides.
I do have slack when h/brake is off
Chas

wilkingj

posted on 2/4/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Lads.. All sorted now. treid all the suggestions to no avail. So took the caliper off the car, and screwed the piston bit in and out. Interesting thing was the hand brake cam moved very very easily.
So I made a small "pusher" (bolt thru a bar) and pushed the piston in whilst turning it. Now it works. I dont know if it had come unscrewed and off the handbrake bit, but it all works fine now.

I didnt expect that from a brand new part

Again... Thanks, its what this site is all about.
Geoff

Best Regards
Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.