Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lessons from TOL
Mix

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Lessons from TOL

I'm sure I'm not alone in being concerned for the future of this forum.
In my opinion it is in danger of degenerating into a soapbox for the views and opinions of the minority.
I joined this forum shortly after the demise of TOL so I can't comment on why TOL fell out of favour but from the comments of others I feel the reasons may have parallels on LB today.
I would like to think all of us joined LB for similar reasons, an interest in car building, so perhaps it may be advisable to 'live and let live' and get on with the real task in hand.
I, for one, will not comment on an issue that I have no personal experience of and will not respond to a thread I feel is offensive. In my opinion this is the quickest way to consign the thread to history, rather than keeping it alive by continual discussion.

I would welcome comment from those with more knowledge of the TOL situation as I feel we could all learn from this example.

Mick

[Edited on 26/4/06 by Mix]

Hellfire

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I knew what TOL meant I would comment on it... as it is, from reading your post I cannot comment so I shouldn't post. IYSWIM -

mookaloid

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Please enlighten us - TOL?
JoelP

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
keep up at the back! tol stands for 'the other list' and is a predesessor to locostbuilders
Wadders

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
'The other list', refers to another locost related forum which degenerated into mayhem and resulted into a few peeps being banned by the draconian moderators.

Knew somone would beat me to it!

Originally posted by mookaloid
Please enlighten us - TOL?

[Edited on 26/4/06 by Wadders]

Mix

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
TOL

The Other List, a previous forum for the likes of us.

As I said I joined LB after it's demise, but there were plenty of threads laying it's failure at the feet of public bitching and backbiting.
Hopefully one of the more longer serving members will give a better explanation.

Mick

Note to self......read the post before posting rather than editing out the mistakes

Mick

[Edited on 26/4/06 by Mix]

Mr G

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 26/4/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

I love speed :-P

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
TOL - The Other List it was and still is on yahoo groups, but it isnt as busy as it was as everyone is on this site, i also am worried that LB will go the same way as TOL

Edit - i am wayy to slow

[Edited on 26/4/2006 by I love speed :-P]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
TOL = The other list

The original Yahoo Locost "group" was a mine of information when the Locost boom started, was almost all on-topic posts and a mine of info.
Eventually collapsed under a suffocating weight of bitching and backbiting.

Chris W was a relative noob to the list and saw the writing on the wall and started Locostbuilders.

TBH I reckon the site is so busy now we need a moderator or two, I'm amazed things have lasted so long, all the other boards I frequent are a "lot" more combative than here

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

jos

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Which other list, where when how why.........phew

Obviously I'm not old enough to know about TOL so I just need to KEEP QUIET IN THE BACK

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

BKLOCO

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I kind of agree with these sentiments BUT...
When something either offends or incenses me I find it very hard not to comment....

Then again my partner thinks I'm an opinionated bugger at the best of times so maybe it's just me.... She loves me realy....I think....

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

iank

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
All forums with open membership tend to go this way occasionally. Not really suprising since the world is full of the helpful, the wise, the argumentative, the clowns, the muppets, the noobs, trolls, the odd sociapath Why would we be any different.

Having strong moderators is a double edged sword, since the line between moderation and censorship is impossible to draw.

mookaloid

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think most of the stuff on here is reasonably constructive/amusing/harmless and I wouldn't want to lose that.

I think that recent arguments have happened, blown up, been resolved and gone away with everyone seeming to settle down again afterwards.

It ain't broke really so why fix it?

Cheers

Mark

theconrodkid

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
ah i remember TOL even mild mannered me managed to get banned from there

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

BKLOCO

posted on 26/4/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
ah i remember TOL even mild mannered me managed to get banned from there

OK i'll ask the question....What for?

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Mezzz

posted on 26/4/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Na

We dont need them.

Support Free Speach support danish!!

Support Free Speach Support Moderator Free Chat Rooms

I think that 99% of the time this forum room is frendily and polite

fesycresy

posted on 26/4/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone been banned from this forum ?

If not, how would you go about it ?

Just curious, thats all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

theconrodkid

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
it was a long time ago,cant remember the subject but me and another member on here were having some banter,nothing serious,we got banned and fled to the safety of this site,plenty others soon followed.
maybe my mate c***s could remember the details?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

DorsetStrider

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've not been banned from anywhere! I feel sooooo left out!

Well I say not anywhere but that's not entirely true. I've been banned from the ladies changing room at my local gym!

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Jasper

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Moderators - bad idea

We all know what and who we are talking about here - ignore them and they will go away - they just thrive on arguments and confrontation.

Rememeber - it always takes at least two people to have an argument.

bob

posted on 26/4/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Funny, i had a chat with chrisw only this week and he mentioned people looking after the site as he is too busy and possible moderators,i',m sure someone wil have have to service the technics of the site from time to time but i dont want to go the way of TOL.

I like it when i post a question during the day and get an answer back within the hour, sometimes within the minute

On TOL you post and you wait and wait

Anyway

The arses come and go, my only gripe with this site is the search system,if someone out there can write a database program for us can they please contact chris as he said he would be more than happy to let someone sort it

iank

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob

The arses come and go, my only gripe with this site is the search system,if someone out there can write a database program for us can they please contact chris as he said he would be more than happy to let someone sort it

You can use google to search the site, well it's better than the search feature provided.

put site:www.locostbuilders.co.uk into google before the search strings/usernames etc.

Not perfect (searches photo archive and only gets updated when google re-scans. But I find it useful.

britishtrident

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Even talking about this is self-defeating -- no ?
DarrenW

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
The thing i like about LCB is that someone can say something potentially out of line. We all jump and correctthat person to the error of their ways. If that person needs help 10 minutes later on another thread we all rush to help out as best as we can. To me this is brilliant.

By virtue of our hobby we are all a touch eccentric. The written word is notoriously difficult to pick up any tone from. i like LCB the way it is and have never lost any sleep through it (unless you count staying up till the early hours on it!!).

It aint broke so doesnt need fixing.

Anything Else section is the correct place for non-technical oppinionated posts. We all have the option of not reading this section. all of the technical sections are without issue so that itself tells me the site is just perfect and tickety boo.

wildchild

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't like a topic, don't read it.

If you take anything you read on here or any other internet forum personally, you probably need to lighten up a bit. It's not the same as having a conversation, there are people who will say stuff which they wouldn't say to your face. Just let it wash over you. Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you, but don't be too upset when the occasional person doesn't.

I don't think there is a problem on this forum. Moderated forums always lose a bit of the harmless/fun banter because noone knows how a moderator is going to react to it. And we don't want that do we?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.