Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: can I drive to an MOT before SVA?
NS Dev

posted on 25/9/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
can I drive to an MOT before SVA?

just to check, can I drive to and from a booked MOT test prior to booking my sva etc and without plates etc?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Peteff

posted on 25/9/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
I did.

Several times If you slacken the handbrake off it fails every time

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

shortie

posted on 25/9/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you can as long as your insurance allows it, I just rung them and told them and they said as long as it's booked then it's fine.

Rich.

mookaloid

posted on 25/9/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Check that your insurance policy covers it.

Mine did - some don't

shortie

posted on 25/9/06 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, very handy if you happen to breakdown on the way 3 or 4 times
Agriv8

posted on 25/9/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yup insurance is the ?

mine covered for trip to and from a PRE booked MOT test.

Shame my chossen MOT man is

A - a good frind of mine and
B - 20 miles on some nice country roads

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ReMan

posted on 25/9/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, glad to see your getting close now, another one to spot in the area.
I'm going to stick my neck out , play devils advocate, call it what you like, and say
NO its not legal to drive to an MOT without plates.
Not because I want it to be and I would still be inclined to if (when) I am in this situation again myself, but because nobody has yet come up with documentary proof that it is.
Just because the insurance will cover you, may not make it legal....
See this thread...
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=49488
I doubt, looking at the quality of you work, you actually need one either, but that's beside the point.

I genuinely want to be proven wrong here, I nearly fell fowl of this myself, any takers?
Good luck with the test
Kind regards
Colin

[Edited on 25/9/06 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 25/9/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the legality of doing it, but I do question how you book an MOT test for an unregistered car?

I have asked 2 garages if they can carry out a pre-SVA MOT on an unregistered car and the answer has been NO! The reasons stated being that they need a reg number to enter into their computerised MOT systems in order to book it.

To those who have done it, how did you go about booking it?

I ask, because I really want to give the car a shakedown on the road before driving it to the SVA test.

whitestu

posted on 25/9/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm concerned about this as well - I don't need an MOT so have booked an appointment to get the lights and emissions checked, but I'm beginning to suspect this isn't legal. It looks as though anything other than the SVA is a grey area.

Found this on another forum:

link

quote:

Well, I promised I'd try to dig up the legislation and this is what I've come up with:

Driving to and from the SVA test IS perfectly legal. Paragraph 22 of Schedule 2 of the "Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994" gives exemptions from being taxed and registered for any vehicle proceeding to or from a "compulsory test". A "Compulsory test" is defined in Paragraph 22(5)(b) as being "An examination for the purposes of Sections 54 to 58 of that Act" (an SVA test).

Now, given that the wording seems to indicate that there is more than one sort of compulsory test that could be required before registration, I can't see why the same exemptions should not apply to vehicles proceeding to or from an MOT test (if that test is compulsory prior to getting a registration).

To my mind, the same wording also allows you to drive to and from ANY test or inspection required by the State in order for you to get your registration. The only other evidence I have found for this is in Section 42, paragraph 4 of the same Act which states:

"(4) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) [that's not having a number plate on your car] to prove that:
(a) he had no reasonable opportunity to register the vehicle under this Act, and
(b) the vehicle was being driven for the purpose of being so registered.

So as far as I'm concerned, there is a definite, specific exemption for people driving to and from a pre-booked SVA test - no question, and there is a more general exemption for anyone driving a car without it being registered if they can prove that they had not had an opportunity to register it beforehand AND the purpose of their trip was something that they had to do in order to get it registered. (which to my mind means an MOT or a VRO inspection but NOT a trip to the rolling road or the paint shop!)

Obviously, everyone will have to make their own decision and I have to say I'm an engineer not a lawyer but if it were my car, I'd drive it to and from all three (note that the MOT could be a sticky one because unless you have kept the donor chassis -in which case the vehicle is still registered) you do NOT legally require an MOT certificate for first registration.

Cheers

Stu

bimbleuk

posted on 25/9/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
My experience was that I passed the SVA test one week. Next week I drove the car from Cirencester to a pre-booked MOT in Cheltenham (scenic route!). The car had no plates and wasn't registered. I got pulled over by a cop car and although they gave it a good look over they accepted I had a pre-booked MOT then let me continue.

This was just before the computer based MOTs started and my first MOT certificate has just the VIN number at the top. Went back for the second MOT which required the details entered on the national database. Being an IT bod I went through the process of creating a manual entry with them as the Striker wasn't on the system.

Hellfire

posted on 25/9/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I don't know about the legality of doing it, but I do question how you book an MOT test for an unregistered car?

I have asked 2 garages if they can carry out a pre-SVA MOT on an unregistered car and the answer has been NO! The reasons stated being that they need a reg number to enter into their computerised MOT systems in order to book it.

To those who have done it, how did you go about booking it?

I ask, because I really want to give the car a shakedown on the road before driving it to the SVA test.

Just book it in and don't ask questions We booked ours in at an MOT station and although it passed, they said they couldn't issue a certificate for it because it had no registration plate. (They were happy to do the test and take the money from us though) We just obtained a receipt for the MOT which was fine for us. That was back in 2003, before they went computerised.

Phil

NS Dev

posted on 25/9/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Hi, glad to see your getting close now, another one to spot in the area.
I'm going to stick my neck out , play devils advocate, call it what you like, and say
NO its not legal to drive to an MOT without plates.
Not because I want it to be and I would still be inclined to if (when) I am in this situation again myself, but because nobody has yet come up with documentary proof that it is.
Just because the insurance will cover you, may not make it legal....
See this thread...
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=49488
I doubt, looking at the quality of you work, you actually need one either, but that's beside the point.

I genuinely want to be proven wrong here, I nearly fell fowl of this myself, any takers?
Good luck with the test
Kind regards
Colin

[Edited on 25/9/06 by ReMan]

Cheers! I agree that I don't NEED one, I just want to get the headlamp alignment right, bed the brakes in on the brake rollers and get the balance bar set up, plus get the mapping "fixed" for emissions purposes

Just depends whether a) its legal, and b) whether "pre booked MOT" means "written in book by MOT man" (whom I know quite well) or "logged on DVLA computer system"

if its just "written in book" then there's no problem.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ReMan

posted on 25/9/06 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I like Whitestu's quote, it's the most convincing thing i've seen yet, I think the fly in the ointment though is that as we all know an MOT is not even a little bit essential to getting the car registered so the CPS may not buy it!

As far as pre-booking an MOT, many garages ask for no more than your name anyway, even with the new computer system, so that's not really an issue.
I seem to think one of the members on here works in the court system , maybe he can tell us?
Col

nick205

posted on 25/9/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pat (Avoneer) is your man on the inside when it comes to court activities

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.