Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Computer confusion
ELO

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Computer confusion

Right guys, I know that as well as having oily fingers some of you have been known to mess about with computers also, so I call upon you for some help!

I'm trying to burn a CD. When I put in a blank CD the computer restarts itself automatically, then once restarted and window has come into being, unless you remove the blank CD, it restarts itslef again and again and again!
(And before anyone says anything I wanted to buy a Mac, but was given this one running windows XP, so can't really complain to much!)

I've not got a clue what to do, so I'm going into the garage - where I have a little bit more of a clue what I'm doing, but not much more

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,
ed

02GF74

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like windows XP needs to be introduced to Mr. Angle Grinder.
macnab

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
or Mr. Sledge Hammer...
macnab

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
don't you have the burner installation disk? try reinstalling or failing that borrow or pinch some elses application and install that instead.
viatron

posted on 14/12/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like hardware to me, what burning software are you using?
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scottc

posted on 14/12/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
You sure the CD is blank??

Try disabling autorun on that drive then insert the cd.

vinny1275

posted on 14/12/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have any CD burning software (Roxio / Sonic / Nero) installed? WinXP has its own cd burning stuff built in (which I think came from Roxio in the first place).

When you insert the disc, what happens? What should happen, is that the disc spins up, XP recognises that it's a blank, and starts its default action to burn the disc (open a 3rd party app, open its own burning dialogue, or prompt you to decide which you want). Which point does it crash at?

You could also look at the event viewer when XP boots back up again (control panel --> Administrative tools). Look in the application log and system log for the application that seems to be crashing. You can look for answers on the event id number at www.eventid.net

HTH

Vince

Jasper

posted on 14/12/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
And posting in the right section might give you even better results
ELO

posted on 14/12/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I had never noticed the "Computer/other site Problems" section - didn't think there would be one on a car forum!

Having spent a couple of hours creating sparks in the garage (always good fun!) I tried to write the CD again - hoping that it would work nicely this time because having read some of the scary posts about burner installation disk and event id numbers it must work now or it will never work again!

I opened the program (I think called InstantCD/DVD) first, setting it all up and then lastly put in the CD when it was all ready to go, and to my amazement it worked perfectly!
Now I have no idea why. But am glad that it did!
Thanks for all your replies - I'll keep a note of this tread in case I can't get it to work next time!

Cheers,
ed

Edited to say that I've just tried it again and unless you set the program up first the comp still restarts itself! I don't know - give me pen and paper!
Oh and the program that I'm having trouble with is called "Pinnacle"

[Edited on 14/12/06 by ELO]

Scotty

posted on 15/12/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
that seems to confirm its the software playing up
get some decent cd writing software, if stuck let me know, will post something to you

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.