Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicator relay connections needed
Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Indicator relay connections needed

Morning All ,
We are nearing the end of the wiring phase - Hooray
Last item is to sort indicators, Hazzards work fine (sierra switch) but indicators are running x2 or x3 speed. We have a light green wire connected to 49a on the switch with dark green wires to L & R indicators. (aftermarket switch) Question is - i am presuming we need a flasher unit relay, What wires go to what? It live to 30, what about 85 , 86 & 87 etc?
Cheers

Daz

RazMan

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Fast flashing usually indicates that you have incorrect bulb wattages installed - have you checked they are all 21W with 5W for the repeaters?

[Edited on 16-1-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, all present and correct I am afraid
no repeaters atm, just fronts and rears. there are no spare wires for repeaters so I assume they are not the problem.

Daz

[Edited on 16/1/07 by Big Daz]

RazMan

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
You might find that putting the repeaters in circuit will slow down the flashing rate a bit as they are designed for 21+21+5 loading - just connect them in parallel with the main indicators for a test (you also need them for sva & mot). Failing that I would try another flasher relay before digging around too much.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
You might find that putting the repeaters in circuit will slow down the flashing rate a bit as they are designed for 21+21+5 loading - just connect them in parallel with the main indicators for a test (you also need them for sva & mot). Failing that I would try another flasher relay before digging around too much.

Thats the problem I think, We dont have a flasher relay at all (unless its in the hazzard switch). Not worried about SVA or MOT because its purely a track car - To make matters even more complicated our repeaters are LEDs not bulb driven ones, so that may cause more harm than good atm.

Daz

RazMan

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
I might be missing something here but how are you getting anything to work without a flasher relay ?

Have a look in my archive and you will find a pinout diagram for the Sierra switches - maybe that will shed some light on the subject.

Cheers,
Raz

Peteff

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Are you using Christmas light bulbs ? If you have no flasher relay what is making them flash, is the switch a special? The flasher relay needs a constant power supply so I doubt it will work if you already have something causing an intermittent current.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
The switch we are using is the bottom one off this page. (green handled One)
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/switch-2/switch-2.html

It has 3 terminals marked L, R & 49a
The tiger loom has a light green wire from the loom which we have connected to the 49a and the indicators to L & R
I initially presumed it contained a relay but now I dont think so.
The tiger loom has 2 relays in it, Should I presume one of these is the flasher unit then? - maybe replace it to see if that helps?
Otherwise wire in the repeaters and hope that works?

Daz

RazMan

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you have recently been uttering Voodoo incantations you must have a flasher unit in there somewhere - follow the clicking sound The Sierra hazard switch is normally combined with the indicator stalk so I presume you have modified in some way.
Sounds like the tiger loom diagram needs a closer look.

Cheers,
Raz

Dusty

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure that switch does not contain a flasher relay so there must be one in the loom. Usually three wire with the terminals numbered 49 (ignition live in), 49a ( flashing live out to switch) and 31 (earth). If your indicators flash, front and rear the flasher relay must be there somewhere on the other end of that green wire. Rapid flash means low wattage. A bulb blown or in your case an earth leak or a low wattage bulb. Physically check the front bulbs especially if you are using motorbike indicators as some come with 8 or 10 watt bulbs as standard.

[Edited on 16/1/07 by Dusty]

Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Unless you have recently been uttering Voodoo incantations you must have a flasher unit in there somewhere - follow the clicking sound The Sierra hazard switch is normally combined with the indicator stalk so I presume you have modified in some way.
Sounds like the tiger loom diagram needs a closer look.

Good point - the hazzard switch we are using is rectangular and is from a donor car - as there are 3 others which match, but it cant be off sierra as its on top of the steering wheel !!!
We are not using the "steering wheel" assembly at all - all switches are located elsewhere
No voodoo yet but its getting close :wink:
Ok, Tonight I will cheak all bulbs and wattages,
Follow the click,
Ascertain all the wires and where they are going,
and wire in repeaters.
I will report back tomorrow and see if we have any success

Daz

Big Daz

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, by wiring in an extra bulb on each side the problem disappears
Presumably this is due to using bike indicators on the front, Does anyone know where i can get higher rated bulbs for the bike indicators which will still fit - small glass bulb not large car size?

Cheers

Daz

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
if you can't find any you can always load it with a resistor

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.