Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MGB GT Question
sammy

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
MGB GT Question

Hi, noticed from another topic that a couple of people here have got MGB GT's. I've just bought one and think it's great fun to drive!
Nothing like a modern car, real fun and character. A couple of questions though:

Can anyone tell me what the knob between the speedo and tacho gauge does?

Also the rear window is usually drenched in condensation on the inside in the morning; is this normal or is it a damp problem?

Thanks!

Build diaries...

kendo

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
MGB GT Answer

Hi

I'm a former MGB GT owner and thought it was the best drivers car I had ever owned / driven until, that is, I got my MX5.

In answer to your query it is for adjusting the lights in the instruments.

kendo

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
2nd Answer

In answer to your 2nd question you probably find one or all of the following which will contribute to the condensation problem.
1. Hatch seal isn't sealing.
2. Door / Window seals aren't sealing.
3. The heater inlet is full of water which is also probably leaking into the footwells. Check under the centre of the dash right up by the bulkhead, you'll find a flap. make sure you can shut it and it stays closed. Also I'm sure but not certain there is a drain tube that allows the rain water out of the heater box. It can get bunged up and that is why it will fill up and flood the footwell.

Guess what???? Yep ! got the T-shirt...

ProjectX

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
As an ex GT owner..

Wet rear window does generally point to a damp/leak.

Check especially the join along top of rear wing bead (from the inside) if not it will be from underneath

Oh there is def a drain from the heater box. Look through grill infront of windscreen, Pop a small piece of wire down (left hand i think) and clean out the tube. There is a knobbly thing at the bottom that gets clogged with crap
HTH

J

[Edited on 5/2/07 by ProjectX]

paulf

posted on 5/2/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I also own an MGB Gt but havent had it on the road for the last 8 years. When I did it used to suffer from damp carpet in the areas bellow the rear pillars onto which the hatch shuts,I think it was a combination of leaks from the tailgate and the beading already mentioned on the rear wings.
I really should rescue it from the back garden and get it running again , it was my daily driver from 1982 until about 1992 and has been little used since then, but was a nice car to drive although slow by modern standards it was nice and comfortable on long jorneys.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectX
As an ex GT owner..

Wet rear window does generally point to a damp/leak.

Check especially the join along top of rear wing bead (from the inside) if not it will be from underneath

Oh there is def a drain from the heater box. Look through grill infront of windscreen, Pop a small piece of wire down (left hand i think) and clean out the tube. There is a knobbly thing at the bottom that gets clogged with crap
HTH

J

[Edited on 5/2/07 by ProjectX]

britishtrident

posted on 6/2/07 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Great car especially the chrome bumper cars -- but hard work to drive on winding roads.

Q1 Long time since I owned one and it might depend on the exact dashboard as they changed a bit but I think the knob is either the dimmer for the instrument lights or the trip meter zeroing knob.

With MGBs it is very important to keep the king pins well lubricated, they were designed for a much lighter car and if not kept well lubricated water and road grit will cause fretting corrosion and wear very quickly.

02GF74

posted on 6/2/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
used to have a white raodster and you get condensation in there too.

In winter it would freeze on the hood above you and as the interior warmed up, you would get cold drips down the back of your neck, head etc. ....

Phil.J

posted on 6/2/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I too used to have an MGB GT. Bought it nearly new back in about 1972, and I have to say it was the worst handling car I've ever owned. Nearly killed me twice with dreadful understeer in the wet! And then it proceeded to start to rust from under the paint, so I traded it for a Lotus Europa TC which is what a real sports car should be like!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.