Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vacuum advance - port or manifold?
bricheun

posted on 20/2/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
vacuum advance - port or manifold?

On my boggs manifold there is one vacuum take off from cyinder number 4. The vacuum occurs in pulses rather than a fixed vacuum.

I was wondering, because my car did run on a vacuum evened out on all 4 cylinders, will this make a big difference to the ignition advance vacuum if I took vacuum from just 1 port?

Thanks.

p.s. - there is no other way to tap vacuum across all 4 cylinders...

macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think the vacuum advance mechanism can vibrate from the pulses as it usually takes a moment to move and could not keep up. Good point though as I had never thought about it before.

matt_claydon

posted on 20/2/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I had this problem when I was on carbs/dizzy and the dizzy made a nasty clicking noise. Took advice from the rolling road guy to run without any vac advance and it was fine.

Also had issues on my megasquirt even with all four inlet tracts tapped for vacuum. Usual solution is to fit a plastic fuel filter in the vacuum line to act as a damper.

BTW, the actual strength of the vacuum will be exactly the same, it's just that it pulses on and off.

[Edited on 20/2/07 by matt_claydon]

macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
a small diameter pipe would do the same, say the ink tube of a biro.

awinter

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same on a Pug Mi16 engine. Ran it with and without vac advance from 1 port.

You will need to limit the amount of suction to the vac advance on the dizzy or it will kill the diaphram eventually. I used an inline bleed screw to reduce the vacuum and the same pipe also ran to the brake servo unit.

The Vac advance made a big difference to the idle of the engine, I was able to set the idle on the carbs lower with vac connected. Much better for emissions if thats a problem.
Also gives much better part throttle MPG if you doing any motorway driving.

Started better with vac advance as well.

It may take a little faffing to get working but it is worth it for the above reasons.

Allan

snapper

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
4 pipes from the top of my Mikunies to a 10mm tube/manifold this then has a 6mm take off either end for Servo and MegaJolt

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

macnab

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
weird

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
What engine/carbs are you running? My manifold for twin DCOE's on a pinto had a vacuum port on one inlet aswell. was advised not to use this as it upsets the butterfly on that cylinder. If you are running twin webers, dellortos etc you should not run vacuum advance to the dizzy. The only reason you should use the vacuum take-off is if you were running a brake servo.

Rich

quote:
Originally posted by bricheun
On my boggs manifold there is one vacuum take off from cyinder number 4. The vacuum occurs in pulses rather than a fixed vacuum.

I was wondering, because my car did run on a vacuum evened out on all 4 cylinders, will this make a big difference to the ignition advance vacuum if I took vacuum from just 1 port?

Thanks.

p.s. - there is no other way to tap vacuum across all 4 cylinders...

bricheun

posted on 20/2/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote

This is how the vacuum is taken..

I managed to connect 2,3,4 vacuums up by using various sized tubes for experimenting..the idle is alot better..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.