Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Chassis Infill Panels
smdl

posted on 8/4/07 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
Welding Chassis Infill Panels

Just finished making my chassis infill panels, and am pleased with the result

I'm about to weld these in, but wonder if they should be fully welded or just partially. If partially, how long and how frequent should the beads be? They are made with 14 gauge steel.

Thanks,
Shaun

Gav

posted on 8/4/07 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I fully welded mine but i did stitch them in first then filled the rest in after to avoid too much distortion.

Ivan

posted on 8/4/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gav
I fully welded mine but i did stitch them in first then filled the rest in after to avoid too much distortion.

Ditto

Peteff

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
How thick?

Is Canadian 14g different to U.K. dimensions, about 1.6mm? I tacked mine in using 3"ish tack and similar gap and am now wondering whether to bother filling the rest in as they are definitely not going to go anywhere.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is Canadian 14g different to U.K. dimensions, about 1.6mm?

14 gauge would make it a destroyer class Locost

mark chandler

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Definately tack every inch then infill working diagonally across the car, my first floor was a buckled diaster which I cut out and replaced !

Even then it was tack welded but I kept going whene infilling instead of swapping side every couple of inches...

Regards Mark

britishtrident

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Plug welding (spot welding with MIG) works well when welding this type situation. A special nozzle is available to make it easier.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/MIG_handbook/592mig11_1.htm

With plug welding you can use pop rivets to hold the panel in place thus avoiding distortion

To spot weld to thicker material such as 1.5/1.6 mm with a hobby Mig I drill both parts to be welded the lower part I use a 2mm dia\ hole the upper a 4mm hole as this aids penetration.

It is also an ideal joint for gas bronze welding.

[Edited on 8/4/07 by britishtrident]

smdl

posted on 8/4/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
14g too much, eh? When I asked before, most here had used 3mm! Oh well, that's what I had, so that's what I used.

I guess I will just have to start beating myself up when I get passed on the straight by that stock Spitfire...

;-)

Cheers to all.
Shaun

posted on 8/4/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
You are absolutely right Shaun.
I've just read your original thread and the replies are a mix of 3mm & 16swg, so 14swg is smack in the middle.

On the other thread you state exactly where they go, between l's & m's.
Maybe people have misunderstood this thread and think you are using 14swg for all panels, floor etc.

I think it helps to state under your avatar what your building and also have pics in your archive.

Paul G

smdl

posted on 8/4/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, Paul. I used to have more pics, but started reorganising them last night, as they were a bit scattered and illogical in their distribution amongst folders. So far, I have just deleted them, and have created new folders to capture things chronologically.

For the rest of the car, I plan to use .060 riveted aluminum for the floor, and am not quite sure yet on the thickness for the body panels. That's still some time away.

Good point on the description. I'll work on that now!

Shaun

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.