Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Editing digital video
BenB

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Editing digital video

Any experts out there on digital video?

If I've got video footage from four different cameras is there some cheap (or free) software out there that will let me sync all the videos then switch between one and the next to make one master....

I've got microsoft movie maker but I don't think that will be powerful enough to do it!!! I could seperate the audio and video and then manually remove frames from the beginning of the video stream to sync them but it sounds rather like hard work!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Macbeast

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Any video editing software, eg Videostudio, will let you chop between the four cameras - just import each camera tape into a separate file and then edit between them. But your Q about separating audio and video makes me think you want to use the audio from one master tape so as to have a continuous audio track to which you then cut pix from the other 3 cameras. If so, I think Videostudio would let you sync up two camera tapes at a time and cut between them but it would get horribly complicated because you would have to bear in mind what you want to do with Cameras 3 and 4 when working on 1 and 2. Maybe I misunderstood ?
BenB

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nope- thats exactly what I wanted to do!!!! Pretty complicated!!!

Basically it's for my wedding in a week. We're having four fixed position video cameras with one master audio...

As long as I can get them all sync'd it doesn't actually matter if the audio switches between the different videos- I can always demux the end video and re-attach the master audio. As long as I can sync and switch okay?!?! I think....

flak monkey

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
My mate who joined the other day (Impact301), does this for a living, I'll point him to the thread later on when he comes online. He should be able to give you some useful pointers.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

BenB

posted on 16/5/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the difficult thing will be synchonising the different video streams...
I suppose once I've set the videos recording I could set off a flash gun from a camera... I could then use that to sync all the videos by deleting up until the beginning of that, split the video into sections then recombine them.... Long winded but might work!!!

BenB

posted on 16/5/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Aha! Just found a nice webby showing how its done using Adobe Premier Elements....

Apparantly (never knew this!!) the clapper board is used to sync multi-angle films... In a DIY setting a hand clap works just as well!!!!

gingerprince

posted on 16/5/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
most commercial stuff (premier etc) will let you split audio/video into tracks and chop and change as you require.

Some unscrupulous types may acquire this software by other means ( ) but if you're at all Linux savvy then there's a very powerful and free video product: -

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Haven't yet tried it myself but I intend to.

BenB

posted on 16/5/07 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooh! That looks interesting. Tinkered with Linux a few years ago, might give running a dual boot another go..... Free software and all that!!
caber

posted on 16/5/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Go buy a Mac! you get iLife bundled which includes iMovie. It is dead easy to use and will do what you want and tons more!

Caber

Impact301

posted on 16/5/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just found the topic. Yes this is indeed what I do. The basic editors like Pinnacle Studio wont let you edit more than 2 camera angles at a time, and you cant cut the audio from the video. The best I have found is Adobe Premier Pro (it does cost around £400 tho!) but you can separate all the soundtracks from the video and arrange them how you want. I think you can overlay up to 99 different video & audio tracks if you wanted! A good clap at the start of the footage is certainly all you need to sync them up, but just make sure all the cameras can either hear it or see the clap or you will need another sync up point. There may be other editors that can split audio and video, but Premier Pro is the best for PC's. Look for ones that say 'MULTI-TRACK EDITING' and that should do what you are after. Hope that helps.
Nick.

snapper

posted on 16/5/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Another cheap trick is to make a loud noise that all cameras can hear and then go and present your watch to each one in turn, should get you ball park close by using the time line on the editor.
Camera 1 time oo on time line camera 2 + time difference seen on watch etc.
Difficulty with most domestic editing systems is frame accuracy when you edit.

Another trick from the old days which will work until your tapes run out , then you will be out of sync again, is to set your positions with tripods etc, decide on which camera is Fixed and the master then bring the others over, set them all going point them all at one person who claps then while they are still running take them back to there positions.
Best of luck though, its never easy but what ever you you produce i am sure they will be greatfull. One tape off the whole event is what they expect but if in slower time you can do a fast cut shorty i think they will love that as well.

[Edited on 16/5/07 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Hellfire

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Adobe Premier Pro - it is good but very resource hungry (duplicates full clips) and difficult to navigate and edit through.

Sony Vegas 7 is far easier to deal with - it will do more than Adobe Premier Pro - effects and timeline control is better. I used syncronised video editing in our least video (Teeside second take) using an in-car camera and a handheld one. Editing is simply a case of sliding one layer behind another, reducing the volume of the unwanted one (using envelope) placing music as a backing track etc etc...

It doesn't fill your drives full of dross and I believe is cheaper... both packages are not for the faint hearted though. The manual is 600 pages thick!

Good luck and if you want any pointers there is a brilliant Vegas Forum!

Steve

Ratman

posted on 17/5/07 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Avid offer their superseeded product for free. I have used it and I believe it is as good as Adobe premiere.. so my Avid salesman, 7 racing, friend tells me. I believe you can separately edit the sound track with Avid. maybe someone else can advise here. at least it is a well tried product and FREE without strings. Brian.

http://www.avid.com/products/freedv/resources.asp

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.