Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Golf club fit for purpose?
Gav

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Golf club fit for purpose?

3 weeks ago i bought a slazenger K1 from JJB Sports after reading some resonable reviews, i tried it and like the club so bought it, about 40 balls later i heeled the ball just off the face and this caused it to spilt the club face from the rest of the club at that point and made a huge dint in the casing from the impact with the ball(i have a ~105mph swing).
Ive (miss)hit loads of quality drivers like that before and none had this happen to them so i took it back to JJB where the manager refused to give me a refund as it was misused! i think this is absolutly rediculous, especially after he admitted that they do have a stress point that causes the club to come apart in a different way.
I evan saw that one of the demo clubs had been hit in a similar way and had also dinted but not quite caused a crack.
I told him that basically the club is not fit for purpose at which point he told me that i wasnt getting a refund and asked me to leave the store as i was getting really furious!.

I intend to ring trading standards on monday but what other options of recourse can i follow?

On the bright side i bought a puka taylor made R7

speedyxjs

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I cant beleive you didn't hit him with the club :
i would go to trading standards but before you do, go back in and tell him you are going to trading standards. Sometimes this can change their minds.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with the golf club but you may have to wait until Tuesday to ring trading standards. It maya be worth getting in touch with Slazenger direct if you have no luck with T.S.
Gav

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
ah yeah, i meant tuesday!

I did tell the manager that i would be contacting trading standards but he didnt seem to concerned and unfortunatly the Slazenger brand is owned by JJB

craig1410

posted on 26/5/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
The sale of goods act states that within the first 6 months of a fault developing, the onus is on the manufacturer/retailer to prove that the problem was not as a result of a manufacturing defect. This switches after 6 months whereby the customer has to provide proof that it was due to a manufacturing defect.

I'd say you have a very strong case and Trading Standards should be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Craig.

meany

posted on 26/5/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
first thing i would do is
contact the head office.
(i work for a large retail company).

http://www.jjbsports.com/content/static/static.aspx?pagenum=12

http://www.jjbcorporate.co.uk/index.php

chrisg

posted on 26/5/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take it back, along with a tub of vaseline................

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Humbug

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
I'd take it back, along with a tub of vaseline................

cheers

Chris

or forget the vaseline... ouch!

Gav

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
umm vasaline... it is a rather large club head

omega0684

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
how much did you pay for the club?

ive been playing golf for several years and ive had several sets of clubs,graphite and steel shaft, in my experience, especially with clubs you pay for what you get. im not insenuating that your cheap but if you paid cheap money for the driver im not surprised that it fell to pieces as soon as you hit a ball a little bit off centre.

slazenger are not renouned for being the best at making golf clubs on a budget,maybe their top of the range one might be half decent. personally, depending on your standard of play then i wouldn't buy anything other than big name manufacturers in the golfing world (callaway, taylor made, tietlest, ping etc) a second hand set or individual clubs can be picked up quite cheaply at your local pro shop or golf store.

the major name companies design their clubs to have quiet and excessive amount of free play, that allow you to hit the ball incorrectly but still get a half decent shot. you said yourself that you bought a Taylor Made R7, i would put good money that its better than the slazenger is so many ways.

my advise would be to get yourself a budget and go to a proper golf shop (NOT JJB, WHERE THE STAFF THERE KNOW F**K ALL ABOUT GOLF!!!!) Get some proffessional advice from people who know what they are talking about. the chaps that usually work in the pro shops and proper golf stores (somewhere like American Golf) are usually pretty good club players so they know what they are talking about

as for the guy at the golf store, im with humbug, no vasaline and teach that little F**cker a lesson he wont forget, also write a letter to the store and area managers telling them of the absolutely S**T service that you got. then contact trading standards,

just my £2's worth

Alex

[Edited on 26/5/07 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobster

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
i have snapped the graphite shaft on my calloway driver 3 times now. Each time they have replaced it with the latest shaft free of charge. the last time was 3 years after I bought it second hand. Phenomenal service. Will buy calloway every time now.
Peteff

posted on 26/5/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe you admit to playing golf

edit:- Don't ring Monday, they'll be shut

[Edited on 26/5/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

omega0684

posted on 27/5/07 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
golf is a great game to play, very relaxing, gets you out in the open air with a few tinnies, good exercise, very forfilling when you go round a course in under 85!

went worth is on at the moment, i would love to be there, but im getting car back to running ways after replacing the clutch,

well you cant win them all hey

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'd try and get hold of Dave Whelan and have a good moan at him about it directly, it's about time someone interrupted his incessant whinging to have a go back

Gav

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I play off 14 atm, i used to play of 6 when i was 17 and 4 stone lighter so no its not as if im a "n00b" who dosnt know how to strike a ball, ive only just started playing again since new year though after a layoff of 5 years or so.
I used to have a callaway big bertha and i broke the shaft on that once which was replaced for free as they have a lifetime warrenty of the shafts which is nice.
As i said though i did try the K1 against several other clubs they had in stock and felt pretty good, it was 170 inc a "free" hybrid club and some balls, so it isnt cheap.
In fact im soooo glad the club broke as i had a round with the R7 today and it is amazing the difference it just "feels" quality against the JJB shite and i certainly feel the drives were straighter and more consistant, infact i felt able to work the ball left or right as needed which ive never been able to do with a driver before, so all i all im a happy camper!

After my round i went back to JJB to see the guy who supervises the golf equipment who wasnt in yesterday and showed him the club and his first words were, "oh not another one" he was very applogetic although reluctant to give me a refund as they wanted to replace it with another K1 or change it to a different club if i wasnt happy with th K1, i did get a full refund, i didnt evan have to return the free balls!

[Edited on 27/5/07 by Gav]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.