Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tea leaf
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
tea leaf

any creative ways to catch someone theiving from a till other than getting a camera in. this is being installed shortly

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ash_hammond

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
uv ink on the notes to identify the notes. Then do a staff search at the end of the day?

Or get a huge dog sat next to the till with dog food scented money?

Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

graememk

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
when i've had this with staff theres normally a life style change in someone

holiday new car new clothes going out for meals more etc etc etc

worX

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's not exactly going to catch them, but in the mean time, get a dummy camera rigged up, obviously telling staff it's a real one.

It won't do anything in the way of catching someone, but those dummy cameras cost next to nothing and it may put the thief (theif?) off enough to stop them for now?

Steve

[Edited on 2/7/07 by worX]

CAD Monkey

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
"I before E except after C"

As said before mark the notes and do a staff search...

Also depends on how they're doing it, my other half is a shop manager and she fired one bloke when she found out he was returning fictional items such as bottles of wine/champagne/spirits and was then pocketing the cash. The stock was also all over the place...

[Edited on 2/7/07 by CAD Monkey]

iank

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Dummy camera stops the thieving, but doesn't catch anyone.

Hidden camera is the best way, but the police/professionals will be required during the setup to ensure any evidence is admissible if you want to take it further.

If you just want to sack them a standard video camera should be good enough.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

owelly

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just keep the till locked.......
simple is always best!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davie h

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
i think you could find yourself in hot water if you demand to search you employes i wouldnt think you have power to do this and they would be well within thier rights to refuse to be searched. oh and make sure that if you fit a camera that you fit signs informing that it is recording. human rights and that.

i may be wrong about the searching but hey better safe than sorry. the thief could end up suing you.

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CAD Monkey
"I before E except after C"

So what about seize, leisure, height, science, society etc.

Phil

[Edited on 2-7-07 by Hellfire]

Macbeast

posted on 2/7/07 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Rules are not universal in their application.

A member of staff in an old folks home was stealing from the oldies. She (bitch ) was caught by police using notes sprinkled with fluorescent powder that showed up under UV light. I suspect it's right that you cannot search staff and you risk alienating the honest ones (if any )

The problem with a till is notes go out as well as in so you get innocent members of the public wandering around with marked notes. You could get the thief saying their partner shopped there earlier then gave them the note they received in change.

If you suspect the cashier (i before e ) of simply lifting money, one way is to do snap spot balances.

Best to get the police involved. tell them that the job's indoors with unlimited supplies of coffee and they'll jump at it.

[Edited on 2/7/07 by Macbeast]

owelly

posted on 2/7/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just get the staff to shout "Twenty" or "Ten" every time they put notes in. I have absolutely no idea why or how this works but they seem to do it in all the chippies around here!!
Failing that, have a postbox for all the notes and count the pound coins a lot!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 2/7/07 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I worked for a place that started random checks as you left, including the car. I was stopped twice in the first 3 weeks. Don't know why but they kinda stopped after a couple of months (probably couldn't be bothered).

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

catman

posted on 2/7/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
i know poeple who work at an electrical distribution centre and they are searched all the time, it is in there contract, i think the attractive girls are searched more though
mistergrumpy

posted on 2/7/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I used to fill the ATM's at Sainsbury's some years back and used to get searched after every time, shoes off and all. We also used to check tills before and after when we suspected anyone of foul play and I believe they went as far as small cameras in the posts with the numbers on in some stores , though the standard ones on the ceiling are very good.

meany

posted on 2/7/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
random till checks need to be done throughout the day....assuming you know what should be in the till at any one time. ie . computer linked system.

Staff searches can be done...but you have to do everybody.

RazMan

posted on 2/7/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Till checks will usually not pick up the times when an item is not rung up on the till roll and the cash is pocketed.
Frisking the staff is definitely not going to win any friends and they will probably end up finding other ways of stealing to spite you.
Cameras are the best way to go but then they can be fooled too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Castrol Dave

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what you sell, but a good way of lifting from the till is to over-change your friends. ie change of £20 when £10 is given. This way you will not have money on you and searches of bags, pockets will never work. Do their friends visit allot???

When you get the camera in, try to make sure you can see what money is passed back and forth. As long as you have them on film, 3 to 4 times they cannot say, 'it was a error I thought they gave me a £20.00' they will have no defence. IMO.

Best of luck.

Happiness is a state of mind...

If your not happy...change your mind.

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote

Castrol Dave that avatar of yours is a mini-film!!!!

Image deleted by owner

Crazy!

Steve

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/7/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the help chaps, couple of good suggestions there

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Castrol Dave

posted on 16/7/07 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Liam,

did the CCTV work???

Happiness is a state of mind...

If your not happy...change your mind.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.