Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1/8 NPTF fitting + 1/8 BSP tapped hole????
DarrenW

posted on 26/7/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
1/8 NPTF fitting + 1/8 BSP tapped hole????

Just been to local engineering factors for a 1.8 nptf tap. They gave me a 1/8 BSP (which i already have so didnt buy). Would 1/8 BSP work. Ive read up on it and under BSP spec it says you can get away with a tapered male (ie the sender) and a parallel female if you use thread sealing compound. What throws me though is that 1/8 bsp is 55deg (vs60deg) and 28TPI (vs 27TPI).

Something tells me it should work as the sender thread is probs only 10mm long therefore shouldnt clash with the TPI difference. Advice greatly recieved.

Cheers,
Darren

Avoneer

posted on 26/7/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
ETB said just bolt in my sender (bsp to ntt) and it doesn't leak.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 26/7/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thats good then, thanks.

Im actually moving oil temp sender. it was in an an oil gallery plug that i needed for the catch tank re-circulation. i found out the sender wasnt submerged in oil anyway so was probs measuring air temp nearthe oil (probs not much different but it has to move anyway). Plan is to refit sender in the sump plug.

12a RX-7

posted on 26/7/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
NPT male into BSPP female is pretty much standard pratice and does seal well. I've seen it quite a bit on industrial applications.

I think NPT is rahter simililar if not the same as BSPT

TimC

posted on 26/7/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - SPA manual says it's fine too.

iiyama

posted on 31/7/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell! Must be the time of year for this!! Just bought some SPA guages, one of which is fuel pressure. Sender is 1/8 BSP male, tap in the regulator is 1/8 NPT. Been looking all over the place to find some fittings to convert one to 'tother and I find the answer here!!!

Marvelous!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

thomas4age

posted on 3/8/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
just make sure you fit it right at once I wasn't able to get the sensor out in one piece,
btw thinkauto has Mocal adaptors for 1/8" bsp and NPT the cost only a few pounds so do yourself a favour and fit one.

Grtz Thomas

ps If anyone has a source for a 1/8" NPT tap and a 1/8"bsp which doesn't cost an arm and a leg because it's in a 1trilon piece tap and die set, I would very much like to know where I can get one, can't get those in holland....

[Edited on 3/8/07 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.