Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: And another hits the road - briefly!
GregMcN

posted on 26/8/07 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
And another hits the road - briefly!

Finally got my car on the road. I wont say how long it has taken but it is chassis number 21.

Thanks to Marc, Chris, Chris Darby and all the locost contributors who have helped along the way.

Some observations from first drive to the DVLA in a BEC.
It's pretty loud, even with a helmet it is loud.
Fitting a start button is a good idea - it is much quicker to restart when you stall it.
You will get noticed, people will point and stare at the bright orange car with the open exhaust and no numbr plates - even the nice policeman asked if I was having a mid life crisis?
Engine mapping needs some work, fine under power but rough at idle and on the overrun.
If I had not taken a mirror with me to enable them to see the chassis number I would have had a wasted journey.

So what now......... the plan was to fit the plates, check my nuts weren't loose and to go and practise my hill starts. Unfortunately took it down the road with the plates on and I have really loud gear type rattle, I think when the clutch is pushed in even though clutch appears to be functioning so it's back to the garage - frustrating or what!

Greg

chockymonster

posted on 26/8/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you're on the road, sorry to hear about the noises

What oil are you using?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 26/8/07 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Picys?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 26/8/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Where's your chassis number? Mine is on top of the aluminium over the passenger foot well. Easy to see with the bonnet off.
zxrlocost

posted on 26/8/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
greg great stuff

can you explain the rattle more you sure nothings come lose things do due to the nature of the car

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

GregMcN

posted on 26/8/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Rattle etc.

Have got it stripped down now and looks like reverse box to propshaft bolts have started to work loose.

Should have said engine number not chassis number on original post.

Cheers Greg

zxrlocost

posted on 26/8/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
greg I have a map if you want it that worked a treat on the last fuel injected car do you want me to email it you

ill email it you if you u2u me your email address I have your details on the BECOC computer but wont be there till tuesday

PS nutlock on everything

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

GregMcN

posted on 26/8/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rear damper setting?

Propshaft bolts re-tightened + locktite so hopefully fixed. Had a quick run and seemed OK and have modified so I can now remove propshaft cover without taking the scuttle off.

Rear seemed a bit bouncy - what setting do people have on the rear damping?

Cheers Greg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.