Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork - Nosecone/bonnet heights
davidosullivan

posted on 15/10/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Bodywork - Nosecone/bonnet heights

Hi, this is my first post on here so I'll give you a bit of background and then ask my question...

I'm building a "traditional" locost, with a capri donor so i've had to widen the chassis and i've got a 1.6 pinto engine. I started building back in 2001 and all i've managed so far is fabricating the chassis. (i've been busy!).

THE QUESTION: I'm looking at starting the body work, I'm going the fibreglass route and I was wondering how "tall" a normal nosecone is. I guess the measurement I need is the height from the chassis rails of the back of the nosecone, where it meets the bonnet.

Any measurements, diagrams, photos etc welcomed

Thanks,
David

caber

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up getting a standard height nose cone and lifting it up by an inch or so. Basically I had the engine in and out several times while doing the chassis and sorting the steering, exhaust and everything else so it all fitted. Once I was happy with the engine position I got a nose cone and set it so that it has about 10mm clearance to the cam belt pulley, the cover of which I sold for a fiver! Once I had that fixed temporarily (Gaffer tape!) I ran a piece of wood to slope very slightly upward to the scuttle to set the height for that as I did not want any power bulges, holes with bits sticking out or any other such stuff. I then made a scuttle as per book, almpst with a 20mm square tube bent for the front hoop and a 25mm X 3mm steel strap bent for the top of the dash. I stuck another bit of the strap between the two hoops then cut a paper template for the ally cover. This is beaten round the two hoops , the front was then plated for the bulkheadwith more ally and a piece of 12mm X 12mm X 1mm ally angle bent round to follow the curve to land the bonnet on.

It was much easier than I expected and looks pretty good, if a bit retro as you have moved away from book dimensions you will be lucky to find GRP bits that will fit properly so have another think about making the bonnet and scuttle yourself. With the nosecone you may also have problems as the side angles need to be pretty parallel to your bodysides otherwise it may look a bit strange. If you can't get one that fits well then get a narrower one and splay the back by cuting down the middle and sticking a wedge of new grp in to fill it.

Good luck with it

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.