Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED 3rd brake light as fog light?
blakep82

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
LED 3rd brake light as fog light?

just seen that ad for the Audi R8 (i don't understand the bit there it says "the slowest car we've ever built" )

looks like its got a LED 3rd brake light as a fog light. would that be alright to do? would certainly look nicer than the usual plastic fog lights you get

[Edited on 27/10/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bigrich

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
think the quote relates to the time it takes to build in the factory

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

iank

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
From a straight reading of the SVA manual it isn't allowed as the fog lamp has to be 100mm away from the stop light.

BUT in this case the stop light in question is an optional lamp from section 9.2 rather than one of the two obligatory lamps from 9.1 so it's arguable that the stop light mentioned isn't the one they intend. However I'd expect it to be an tough one to win with a tester so I wouldn't bother. Lifes too short.

Production cars being allowed to do things we aren't isn't a new situation unfortunately, but there you, go the SVA is simplified as if it followed all the subtlties of construction and use it would take a month to administer and cost £10k

On the bright side retrofitting after SVA would be very unlikely to cause a problem as you could argue 'a production car does it so it must be ok' with the traffic police far more easily. And that's in the hugely unlikely event it was foggy and they bothered to pull you on the off chance it might not be quite allowed.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
here's what i mean, the brake light is at the top of the window, and in the back bumper, it has what looks like another brake light, but i assume is actually the fog (only having the role of a fog light)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
In which case you're down to only having the problem of finding an e-marked fog light that shape. Which is a bugger I suspect.

Sorry I misunderstood your original description.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
i didn't really word the question very well

premier wiring seem to have some nice ones, but nothing mentions if its e marked

iank

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i didn't really word the question very well

premier wiring seem to have some nice ones, but nothing mentions if its e marked

Give them a call. I'm pretty sure brake light and fog light have different marks though.

--
Anonymous

nitram38

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
The only difference between a fog and stop lamp is the wattage.

Description
Description

[Edited on 27/10/2007 by nitram38]

blakep82

posted on 27/10/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Your fog light can be further than 100mm from your stop lights!
It can almost be in the centre of the car

think he meant no closer than 100mm

iank

posted on 27/10/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My understanding is there are also differences in the reflector design.

See Steve @ sVc post here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36734

Fog lights also need an F mark.

[Edited on 27/10/07 by iank]

--
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 27/10/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I am fairly sure that the lense on a fog light is more directional than a stop lamp, but you can probably get away with it after SVA.

I converted my twin fog lights to act as fog / tail lights and they work very well visually and I reckon I can argue their funcionality when it comes round to MOT time (or just disconnect the tail part)

E or F marks are only a factor that helps get the lights through approval - if they are deemed as suitable for the task by the inspector then they will still get ticked as a pass.

[Edited on 27-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 27/10/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

[Edited on 27/10/2007 by nitram38]

no it's not. both my stop lamps and fog lamp use a 382 21w bulb. the lenses and possibly reflectors on them are different though.

tom

speedyxjs

posted on 27/10/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
think the quote relates to the time it takes to build in the factory

Aaah, now i understand
That bit confused me too

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Steve @ sVc

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the boring bit!
There are 4 levels of “brightness” for red rear lights.
The tail light is the least bright,
Following this we have the 3rd or hi level brake light,
Brighter, are the normal stop lights, and brightest of all is the rear fog light.
So, no, sorry the fog light can’t be replaced by any other, and as previously said, it has the unique “F” mark, together with the “E” mark that the SVA examiner will look for.

Hope this helps a bit

Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
cool! nice one, cheers steve!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.