Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bitten hero

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI all,
mad question -does anybody know the mot/sva/requirements for tractors!!!!!!!!!!!
Stupid i know but during a chat it came up !!!!!!!!!!what about them really old tractors that have to use the road between feilds!!!!!!! and some of them must be forty years old at least !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donut

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
good point!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bitten hero

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Also as i live really near the new holland tractor plant where the hell do all them new tractors go!!!!!!!!!I thought all the farmers are poor!!!!!!! also they ship out stacks of new tyres(rears) and i have never seen a old tractor with new tyres they are always worn right down!!!!!!!!!!
BenB

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC agricultural vehicles don't need SVA.

A few years back on the first series of scrappy racers they somehow managed to ensure that none of the vehicles needed SVAing (just as well, none would have passed).

The barley pickers truck was deemed "agricultural" so no SVA......

Confused but excited.

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, Agricultural Exhibition Vehicles do not require a SVA. That's how one team got away with not SVAing a creation on Scrapheap challenge. You do not have to tax one either, if it travels less than 1 mile on public roads between fields or fileds and farm at any one time.
Perfectly willing to be corrected.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

caber

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tractors with limited mileage between fields don't need an MOT!
Caber

Bitten hero

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
MOT?????????????? TAX???? INSURANCE???????????
Bitten hero

posted on 26/1/08 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
What about a bec tractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bobs bangers

posted on 26/1/08 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
All farm machinery is insured on a farm policy a little bit like a trader policy. If it is required to be taxed or mot'd then it no doubt must be. My understanding is There are limited mileage clauses for agricultural uses e.g a tractor running on red diesel can travel on the road between land owned by the farmer. This distance is limited to prevent the misuse of vat exempt red fuel. Im not sure how many miles it is but I think its more than a mile. I believe that some tractors are road registered with a tax disc but no charge levied ??? I could also be corrected !! Lets not forget that a lot of the machinery e.g combines are entirely seasonal and sit in sheds all year till needed for 4 weeks work.

Alot like kit cars but with more torque !!

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've used my digger on the road, only needed third party, no mot or tax. Really quite terrifying flat out, 12 tons of swaying bouncing death

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eccsmk

posted on 27/1/08 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
as far as i know farm vehicles should be taxed for use on roads but its one payment for the lifetime of the vehicle
as for driving them on roads you can drive how ever many miles you like but IF you are moving a load for other people on a regular basis then you must use white diesel.
ill check for certain on monday when i see my brother as he is a farmer and has just finished a hand full of courses regarding contracting etc
hope this has made a bit of sense
atb
martin

rusty nuts

posted on 27/1/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC tractors don't need an MOT but the really STUPID thing is they are allowed on dual carraigeways There was a serious accident involving a tractor on the A14 a few years ago which caused major upsets , no way was that just travelling 1 mile between fields. Also breakdown trucks didn't need an MOT which I think is still the case?

[Edited on 27/1/08 by rusty nuts]

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/1/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
There is no 1 mile restriction for tractors. There is no MOT but you still have to comply with construction & use regulations which are more than adequate to ensure things are safe, not that they seem to be enforced.
You do need to tax & insure them for use on the road though, but the tax is currently free in the same way as for a pre 1973 car. It used to cost a few quid , I think they made it free to encourage farmers who wernt bothering & to get an idea of how many machines are in use on the road & to get the tax free disc you need to be insured like anything else. A great many old tractors are still in use but are never on the road so it's impossible to say how many there are.
I did a head gasket on my cousin's little tractor last weekend, I noticed it was last taxed in 1970 & it cost £35 back then! The tractor itself is late 50s & he uses it most days to scrape out cowsheds but it's never on the road.
They are only allowed to run on red diesel (around 50p a litre) if doing agricultural work, if it's classed as haulage then you have to run on white. An example of which is if a farmer takes a combine along the road to a field to do work it can run on red, if he uses a tractor to tow the header (the big wide rotor thingy on the front of the combine) then it must run on white! If however the tractor does some work in the field while it's there then it can do the whole job on red!
The law regarding using tractors on the road & red diesel to fuel them is an absolute minefield!
As for farmers being poor then the value of the gear he uses isnt directly related to how rich he is, it's not the same as having a flash car, the machine is there to work!
At a rough guess my dad's tractors may be worth £45000, but his car is an R reg Pug 306!

mcerd1

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I think most of this has been said - but here's my 2p's worth:

They do need TP insurance but this isn't much (can be £15 a year for old ones)

They do need road tax, but again this isn't much - and the old ones (pre 73) are free (same as pre 73 cars)

Red diesel is only for agricultural purposes (contractors who go between farms are supposed to use white on the road - and they are not allowed 2 tanks that they can switch between)

they don't need an MOT

You can drive one - towing up to 14 tonnes with your car licence (or a tractor licence when your 16) and you don't need the trailer '+E' licence

but all these concessions are given because it is there speed limit on any road is 20 mph - the fast tractors get treated more or less like HGV's

quote:
As for farmers being poor then the value of the gear he uses isnt directly related to how rich he is, it's not the same as having a flash car, the machine is there to work!

Its kind of like a factory spending £500k on a new machine - its not because they just like spending money, its just what they need to spend to get the work done

and just like a factory - the money may well be coming from the bank

t.j.

posted on 27/1/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Around here tractors have to meet NOTHING!

- No drivers-lincense (16 years and drive)
- No registration
- No approval needed
- No MOT
- No tax on fuel (drive on gasoline )
- No tax on vehicle
- Insurance only together with house/bussiness (cheap)

Only problem is that you may drive only 25 km/h.

But hey who gonna check that.....

Yes, I live also in Europe...

fast tractor

or this one

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.