Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP/Fibre Glass - For Custom Kit Car - Know anywhere????
StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
GRP/Fibre Glass - For Custom Kit Car - Know anywhere????

Hi Chaps,

Does snyone know anywhere that will do custom body work (for a good price of course)

I`m almost finished building a mid-mounted V12 kit car (own design), from a SL600 (Photo`s soon) and I need to start making front/nosecone bodywork. The car is very Lemans style, the flat sections are panel aluminium (bonded and riveted) but I need help with complex cures, hence fibre glass.

I guess anything Lemans...ish, ultima front end etc would work very well.

The only place I can find is a place called fastglass2000 who make a race car front ends, but they have no contact details.

http://www.fibreglasspanels.co.uk/

Any idea`s or suggestions?

Best Regards
Stuart

07874005802 (incase you arr reading this and make bodywork for a living ha ha)

mookaloid

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know the answer to your question but I can't wait to see the pics

Welcome by the way

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, ive been on for a while now, but only got round to phoning up today.

andyd

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
C'mon on then let's see some photos!

Andy

turbodisplay

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you, i know of a company in romford area that may be able to help. Baril products, I buy my raw material from him. Makes a few car pannels.

Thanks
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I`m in Loughborough, the cars in Market Harborough but my family live in Kent (past essex), so its not to much of a mission!

Should I give them a call! ???

blakep82

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
there's a company called boss motors, they make the GRP panels for the pick up truck racing. i've got some of theirs in the garden. don't know if they'll be able to help, but maybe worth a call?
i'll get the number when i go out side

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lsdweb

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi StuartBJ

Welcome!

Whilst they are a long way west for you, I'd recommend MVS Racing

They've done a lot for me and can do anything with GRP and CF.

Have a look at their web site.

Regards

Wyn

StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, any recommendations are welcome I don`t mind a bit of travel
MikeR

posted on 16/4/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
There is a place in Hinckley / Barwell that does GRP. Not sure if they'd be interested but at least they'd be relatively local.
StuartBJ

posted on 16/4/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
do you know the name?

best regards
stuart

turbodisplay

posted on 16/4/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Baril productshttp://www.localbrit.co.uk/business/baril-products

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 16/4/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stuart and welcome.

As you've built the rest of the car, why don't you have a go at the fibreglass too.

There's plenty on here who've made their own complex bodywork (I made mine, but as you can see, it's quite simple).

ATB

Simon

StuartBJ

posted on 17/4/08 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm yeah not a bad idea, but I have no idea where to start??? I`m bound to mess it up!

Someone mention using old foam cut to shape and then skinned with Mica and making a mould that way. Does that sound right? Is FBG ing a hard skill to pick up? I know its time consuming!

DarrenW

posted on 17/4/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Do a search for FredWB. Hes making a fantastic job of a Lola relica. Perhaps a bit extreme but it does show a good approach. Then search for Steve Graber. He posted a good record of the LaBala development.

These 2 may put you off but show a quality approach. There are also other posts by people who have made smaller panels like wings etc.

Other option is to see if any currently available bodies might fit wih a bit of alteration. What chassis have you done - or is that all custom too?

My immediate thoughts is that you are trying to do full car for £3,000. Custom body may well nudge you over that.

Delinquent

posted on 17/4/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StuartBJ
Hmmm yeah not a bad idea, but I have no idea where to start??? I`m bound to mess it up!

Someone mention using old foam cut to shape and then skinned with Mica and making a mould that way. Does that sound right? Is FBG ing a hard skill to pick up? I know its time consuming!

Get a book on composites and you'll be laughing from the actual layup perspective - just buy some materials and start moulding small test parts first. Time consuming yes, and you tend to either love it or hate it, but it's VERY rewarding when the part pops out the mould

On the forming side... that is IMO a much more aquired skill - how are you at sculpting and carving, sanding to a pristine finish? If you don't mind spending time doing things like this, and are reasonably apt, then it's something many can do. If you ask yourself and come up with the honest answer that you'd likely cut corners, don't do it.

Triton

posted on 17/4/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart,
I know a top bloke nr junction 16 of the M1 who makes race car bodywork even kit car stuff...Daventry Fibreglass and fellas name is Steve Graves...

Cheers
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.