Poll: so how long will it last?
< 1 mile :mad: 5 (0%) -»
>1 mile < 100 miles :) 6 (0%) -»
> 100 miles :) :) 5 (0%) -»
infinity and back :o 4 (0%) -»
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: so how long will it last?
02GF74

posted on 24/4/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
so how long will it last?

Finally completed and fitted my speedo sensor.

Wired up to speedo and by spinning one rear wheel, the speedo needle is between the 0 and 10 mph so is showing promise.

Was not able to dermine the gearing in the gearbox speedo take off so will need to go driving in order to calibrate speedo.

Previous prototype survived so this one looks like it should last a fair bit but .......

Too many hours spend on this but satisfying now it is done. (next time I thnk I'll fork out the £ 60 even though it is against the locost - diy philosopy) Rescued attachment DSC03571.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC03571.JPG

worX

posted on 24/4/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how long it'll last but it looks pretty good. And even though you'd shell out next time, it's still satisfying to know that you've made one at least once!

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
It'll need a cover surely to stop dirt covering the optics, not sure how you’ve connected it to the wheel.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
there is a magnet one side of the chopper wheel and hall effect sensor on the other. The small box has some electronics to provide a pulse for the speedo - I suspect I should have mounted this inside but was worried about the low level signal from the sensor.

I did consider optical but that would involve making a sealed unit that I do not have the ability to do.

my concerns are two fold: ingress of oil/water but there was a small gasket glued where the cable plugs in and rest is sealed using selaant - the grey stuff.

and if the bearing wears, the chopper blades will wear down the sensor.

there is a led on the small box to drop the voltage to the sender plus provide a visual that the sender is working.

DarrenW

posted on 24/4/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I cant help thinking you have just re-invented the wheel. Looks good but in my book some things are meant to be bought.

02GF74

posted on 28/4/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I cant help thinking you have just re-invented the wheel. Looks good but in my book some things are meant to be bought.

... but one could say the same about a chassis and other thing too....

I am not sure I have the space to fit geatbox adapter and sensor and did not want to use sensor using propshaft bolts.

So far so good so the 5 people who predicted it would last less than 1 mile - ya boo sucks to you!!

A spin on the motorway with 60 mph showing on bike speedo allowed me to calibrate it - was underreading by 5 % so pretty good first guess!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.