Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 gearbox movement?
DavidW

posted on 9/6/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 gearbox movement?

Further to my previous posts on Type 9 gearbox mounts I think I can raise it up so the bottom mount is level with the bottom of the chassis.

I'm a bit worried about the top of the gearbox striking the top chassis rails and pipes.

Does anyone have any idea how much clearance I should allow for the gearbox moving under load?

I have the westfield mount mounted rigidly on 3mm steel plate bolted through the chassis.

[Edited on 9/6/08 by DavidW]

jacko

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
engine mounting
engine mounting

I made a stabilizer like this to stop engine / gearbox movement

more photos in my archives
Jacko

[Edited on 9/6/08 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Baron

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you are also using a Pinto engine, work backwards from the top of the engine, as pinto engines are really high.
Cheers,

B

DavidW

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
The engine does fit under the bonnet ok, my concern is over the height of the back of the gearbox.

Above is an interesting idea on how to reduce movement. I could do something like this if needed although fear the only way out I need too will be when the rear brake line gets sliced by the gearbox...

RobH

posted on 10/6/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi DavidW

Keep your standard Sierra and get some angle iron (preferably aluminium) about 60mm x 4mm section and cut to length so it will fit in the gap between centre mounting for the gearbox and outer flange (top side) drill through the angle using the mounting holes of the bracket as alignment and bolt to the under side of the mounting flange on the chassis. This will lower the back of the gearbox enough so the engine is dead level and it will stop the back of the gearbox from moving side to side but will allow up and down and rotational movement. This has worked a treat on my car.

( Please note the sizes I have given are from memory but I hope its given you an idea of how to solve your problem.)

Rob

DavidW

posted on 10/6/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rob

I think I almost get what you mean. So you are using the angle as a spacer to move it down and also to keep the mount central?

David

jacko

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i dropped the gearbox by 12mm and put 5mm packers under the engine mounts
i also cut the box out above the gearbox and welded a new piece in further forward so i could fit a remote lever on
Jacko

[Edited on 10/6/08 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.