Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: maybe a newbie stupid question?
deebee

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
maybe a newbie stupid question?

Hi, im new to this forum but wanted a finger in the wind type answer to a question really.

I know its like asking how long is a piece of string ...but, im thinking about building an MK indie to use as a track day car with some limited road use. any fabrication, painting, shotblasting, welding, and machining i can get done at work so that should help with the cost?

Very roughly what would it cost to put one of these cars together to a pretty good standard.

Just after anyones experienced opinion? Many, thanks.

fast never goes out of fashion.

eccsmk

posted on 10/6/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
mine which is in a previous thread would come out at around the 6k mark
im deliberatley not being exact as i dont actually know

but it all depends on whether you use new or second hand parts
what engine you use etc
just too add i actually spent more making my garage secure than i did on my build so i could be way off the mark with that figure HTH

[Edited on 10/6/08 by eccsmk]

[Edited on 11/6/08 by eccsmk]

bigrich

posted on 10/6/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
i would guess anywhere from 4.5k if your really careful and can find lots of bargains to over and above 10k.

Really does depend on spec, bike or car engine, what "nice" extras you want etc etc.
You will probably spend more than you thought anyway, upgrade fever seems to get you when the building starts and a fasination with shiney precious things that wiegh less and cost more

You have been warned

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

graememk

posted on 10/6/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i very much doubt you'll do it for less than £4k

i spent about £5500 on mine

MartynV

posted on 10/6/08 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
We are hovering just under the £4000 mark with our student project in college, running with standard Pinto engine and no frills.

However, we did have a very welcome hand in the form of an educational discount from MK, thanks guys, and we have had similar from Europa and Motorworld for other parts!

Probably nearer £5000 without it!

tootall

posted on 10/6/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
im bilding a indy spec r and it hasn't arived yet well if all is well it will be getting delivered wed night tomorow
well with the cost of kit and the odd optional extra and a bike engine kit and a few things ive been colecting( I hate ebay) ive spent £4500 at least and still have wheels, brakes, fuel tank, seats, exhausts etc so another £2000 to spend at least!!!

[Edited on 10/6/08 by tootall]

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

LBMEFM

posted on 11/6/08 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a Indy with a bike engine and you intend to fit items like, carbon fibre dash, nice lighting, new wheels and tyres, new seats and make really good job I would allow between £6 -£7k. I know I have.
Barry

eznfrank

posted on 11/6/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Indy ZX12 almost done - I reckon I'm on about £6k with another £1k to go.
donut

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Both my Pinto Indy's came out at about 4500 to 5000 and that swith new wheels, tyres, seats, loom, light etc etc.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 11/6/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
All depends on what you want and how much time you have to make bit's fit, you skill, if you use a doner car and how many part's you reuse from the doner.. etc etc..

Dan

mike smith1

posted on 11/6/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
£8500, including insurance and registration for first year!

Mike

RK

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Budget for a certain amount and then double it. This is realistic for my build, but things are a bit more predictable over your way. The small parts add up.
mad-butcher

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got access to all facilities why not look at building a haynes roadster a guy on there does a flat pack of 99% of the box section with all the complicated angles pre cut for about £200
Triton does a full f/glass package for about £900
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.