Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Access my home network remotely?
lsdweb

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Access my home network remotely?

Hi All

I'd like to be able to access my home network over the web. I've seen a few free bits of software (WallCooler?) but I'm a little bit cautious about the security aspects!

Can anybody assist?

Wyn

Jubal

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I use WHS. Windows Home Server.
ecosse

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
www.logmein.co.uk

It doesn't get much easier, cheaper or better than that

Cheers

Alex

[Edited on 7/7/08 by ecosse]

clairetoo

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use `LogMeIn.com` - it can be a bit slow , but dead handy when working away from home .
It's free

[Edited on 7/7/08 by clairetoo]

[Edited on 7/7/08 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

joneh

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
VNC?

MikeR

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
if your thinking of security forget VNC
geoff shep

posted on 7/7/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
So logmein - for instance. You log in to your own PC, from work, using an account and a password. How do we know that logmein.co.uk aren't accessing our PCs when we are not looking as they presumably have access to our log in details - or don't they?

I suppose it's like logging in to, say, my bank from home. My ISP doesn't get to know my bank login details just because they are my ISP - or do they?

Perhaps I'm overly cautious?

Oh, and PS: I wonder if I could log in from work anyway, with all their gateway/blocks etc.

[Edited on 7/7/08 by geoff shep]

ChrisW

posted on 8/7/08 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
If you're running XP professional (or Vista home premium or above I think), you have remote desktop built in. Just need to switch it on and map the port through from your router.

It's an encrypted protocol, and security is pretty good.

If you're really worried, get a router that has VPN endpoint capabilities. The mid-range Draytek kit is very good - 2910 for cable, or 2820 like mine for ADSL. Then you can create a secure tunnel into your network from anywhere in the world and access any PC, fileshares, etc.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
viatron

posted on 8/7/08 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for logmein, i use three of their products
Free: For accessing the home PC
Pro: For Support to Contract Customers
IT Reach: for one off support calls

Some big corporastes i do work for also use it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 8/7/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Backing up what Chris said, a VPN is the best way to get on your network, if you have the capability.

Something like a Draytek with built in VPN will work. Another option which I use is to have a router that's compatible with DD-WRT firmware. It's basically updates software for cheaper routers (like Linksys) which gives lots more features. One such feature is OpenVPN. It basically establishes a virtual network over a standard SSL connection (on port 443) and so generally will even work from work. To the firewall it's no different to accessing a secure website like a bank.

You could also install OpenVPN server on your PC if your router isn't compatible with OpenVPN and just forward port 443 to your router.

Of course saying it will work from work is different to saying you should use it from work. Check your internet usage policy to make sure you won't get sacked - or make sure you're mates with the firewall guys

geoff shep

posted on 8/7/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well, just tried from work and cannot even get the logmein site due to the work restrictions. So it aint gonna work for me.
Davey D

posted on 8/7/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
If you're running XP professional (or Vista home premium or above I think), you have remote desktop built in. Just need to switch it on and map the port through from your router.

It's an encrypted protocol, and security is pretty good.

If you're really worried, get a router that has VPN endpoint capabilities. The mid-range Draytek kit is very good - 2910 for cable, or 2820 like mine for ADSL. Then you can create a secure tunnel into your network from anywhere in the world and access any PC, fileshares, etc.

Chris

With vista the only versions your can RDP to are Vista ultimate, and Vista Business. None of the home versions, or basic let you do this.

ChrisW

posted on 9/7/08 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
With vista the only versions your can RDP to are Vista ultimate, and Vista Business. None of the home versions, or basic let you do this.

Thanks for that! I've not played with Vista other than the business version that comes in our licence pack.

If your firewall blocks random ports, you can usually get around it by using SSH tunnelling (you'll need a Linux box, or virtual machine, running at home), SOCKS proxy (if you have one on the work network somewhere) or as a last resort, a thing called Hypertunnel, which can disguise pretty much any data as HTTP (web) traffic, meaning the firewall lets it through.

None of these options are something a beginner should try, as a fair knowledge of TCP/IP is assumed. However, using a combination of these tools you'll be able to 'break out' of pretty much any network where you can see the web.

Chris

lsdweb

posted on 9/7/08 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I tried LogMeIn but it's blocked from work! :-(

geoff shep

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tried logmein and it worked fine. Accessed my desktop from a laptop on my own network but via the web. Looks good. Just wish we could use it at work.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.