Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: am I asking too much????
rayward

posted on 8/9/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
am I asking too much????

got my car advertised,but not had any interest,

just wondered what the massive thought, too highly priced?, bad advert? or something else?

any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated

Link to Ad

cheers
Ray

nib1980

posted on 8/9/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
wrong time of year, next april and it will fly out your hands
JoelP

posted on 8/9/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
im thinking its a mix of the bad weather and the uncertainty in financial markets. Ive certainly cut down on spending.
richardlee237

posted on 8/9/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
5500 for a pinto engine seems a wee bit pricey to me and it is the end of summer (what summer, I hear you ask !)

But then I'm no Quentin Wilson

Richard

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/9/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

Had my Locost up for sale briefly at £4650 , it has the CVH engine , unfortunately the Pinto and the CVH are not very trendy now , I am going to change mine for the 2.0 Zetec which is in my shed , this would certainly make the car as a whole a more attractive package...

I'm guessing that although your car looks smart enough it is too dear for a Pinto engined car .

Hellfire

posted on 8/9/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree re: the price. It does seem a little excessive. Add this to the fact that just about everything has increased, times are hard and people are genuinely sruggling. I'd suggest waiting until next year or reduce the price drastically if you really need to sell it - circa. £4500

Steve

coozer

posted on 8/9/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad price to me but I reckon everyones worried about the current ressession so may be the factor. I would hang onto it for now.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jacko

posted on 8/9/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
No No No don't reduce the price its a very nice build /car and worth every Pennie

Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 8/9/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Always a difficult choice. Do you offer your P&J for a fiar price and keep it, or for a low price and sell it.

Only the seller can decide which is the right way for him bearing in mind his circumstances.

Usually I've found it best to shift whatever it is I'm selling at whatever price I can get, and move on, unless I'm in no hurry to sell, in which case I set a price and stick to it. Up til now I've got my asking price but I've had to wait til the right buyer comes along.

I think the price is a touch on the high side for a pinto engined car, but it may well be that the build quality is well worth it.

It all depends on the circumstances

John

big_wasa

posted on 8/9/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think its a nice car for the money. But as said these are summer toys.

Ie No summer this year and people dont have as much money for toys.

My mate is selling his bike to finish his car and he isnt having much look on that either.

jacko

posted on 8/9/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some people say its to much for a pinto engine car [ £5500 ] but i see bike engine cars go for £8000 + is a bike engine car worth £2-3000 more ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
popeye99

posted on 8/9/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Only person who decides if the price is acceptable is buyer. It is that simple.

I'm in the market for one, but pinto engine and 5500 wouldn't even get me to click on the ad. Put better (newer) engine in and lower the price for at least £1000.

Probably not what you want to hear but thats my opinion.

hth

popeye99

posted on 8/9/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Some people say its to much for a pinto engine car [ £5500 ] but i see bike engine cars go for £8000 + is a bike engine car worth £2-3000 more ?
Jacko

No, you seen them advertised for (upto) £8000. You (and me) have no idea what they actually went for.
And telling seller to stick with the price that generates 0 interest is daft and not very helpful.

RichardK

posted on 8/9/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm I think it about 500 -1000 too rich,sorry not what you wnat to hear I'm sure together with everybody being skint won't help. Wait until the spring and try again would be my advice.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Werner Van Loock

posted on 8/9/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just to give some comparison and then ask yourself the same question again.
And as first said, waay wrong time of the year.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/688494.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/664863.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/668444.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/613463.htm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/638112.htm

http://www.clubstylus.be

rayward

posted on 8/9/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments guys, just as i thought really

will shortly be losing garage space so could do with it gone really

have dropped the price, will have to see what happens

cheers
Ray

scootz

posted on 8/9/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem with building your own car is that it always owes you (far) more money than it is actually worth.

Those not initiated to the kit car scene expect to pay pennies for 7 replica's... those willing to spend £5k will have their pick, so a potential seller had better have something special about their car to attract interest.

I wish you well with the sale, but as others have said - the engine has had its day, the time of year is wrong and the financial climate doesn't lend itself to buying toys.

Personally if I absolutely HAD to sell then I would grab any offer near the £3k mark.

Most sensible option is to keep it, drive it and run it into the ground! That way you get your money's worth!

mr henderson

posted on 8/9/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Considering the fact that there is no weather equipment or even windscreen, the buyer knows he is probably not going to be able to use it til next year, so why buy now?

If you really want to sell it, soon, I reckon you are going to need to do a lot better than £5,000. You need to give the buyer a reason to buy now rather than much nearer the time when he can hope to use it.

LBMEFM

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Somethings is only worth what people are prepared to pay. But that said, I agree with most comments that the current financial climate and the time of year makes it a difficult time to sell. I still think it looks a brill car and worth the money.
Barry

greggors84

posted on 8/9/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am thinking about selling mine as I jointly own it and the other lad never gets to drive it. I wish I could buy him out but cant afford it at the moment.

Anyway I was thinking about putting mine up for around £6k but would take £5500. Mine is similar to yours but 2.1 pinto with twin 45s and 150bhp.

I think you cant really compare other cars with your own as they are all built to completely different specs and it depends what the buyer is looking for.

You could have a stripped out R1 engined 7 and a pinto powered 7 with fully weather gear and padded seats. If the buyer is looking for a touring 7 then the second one is worth more to him.

Its not like comparing mondeos where the V6 is clearly going to be worth more than the 1.8 as it comes with the bigger engine and alot more equipment.

As I didnt have chance to sell mine over the summer as I had to move up to sheffield and been away with work lots, I am going to cost up a duratec conversion as I think this would be help sell it and fetch as much as a bike engined car.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.