Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shocker bolts
richyo

posted on 8/1/04 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Shocker bolts

I've just got a set of Gaz shocks and want to check that the bolt fixing size is half inch.
If so does it matter what type I get i.e B.S.F , U.N.F , B.S.W

Thanks in anticipation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/04 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
imperial bolts are measured 'across flats' I think.

Are your new shocks really imperial? Mine are 10mm metric - and I have a suspicion that others are 12mm or so. A 10mm bolt has a 17mm head methinks.

make sure you use a bolt and not a machien screw, bolts dont have a thread all the way down, which reduces effective dia and strength.

atb

steve

richyo

posted on 8/1/04 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve

I'm sure they are 12.5 mm cause I put 12mm bolt in and it was loose. I'll phone the supplier to check

JohnN

posted on 8/1/04 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same impending situation and had also wondered about a bigger bolt.

Apparently the GAZ shocks are not metric and have a half inch dia hole, so a metric 12mm? bolt will be loose. I am assured by people who've been there that once "nipped up", there isn't a problem.

John

craig1410

posted on 8/1/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Why don't you just get 1/2" UNF high tensile bolts rather than "making do" with ones which are too small. Yes you can nip them up but given that shockers have resistance to both bump and rebound, you may find that it will start to move around under severe loads. If they were only loaded under bump then you could just tighten them with the weight on the wheels and it'd be okay. That 0.7mm doesn't sound like much but it will clunk and click and may not impress the SVA man.

I got my 1/2 inch UNF bolts from Namrick (aka The nut and bolt store). They are probably not the cheapest but they have a website and delivery reliably and promptly. Get nyloc nuts and a few washers at the same time. Job done!

Steve,
UNF bolts are measured across the bolt shank as with Metric bolts. You are correct that a 17mm spanner fits an M10 bolt and you will find that a 19mm spanner fits pretty well on a 1/2" UNF bolt although it should be a 3/4" AF spanner really which is 19.05mm.

Cheers,
Craig.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
zeemer shocks I have were 3/8 which is about 9.5mm. Bolts for 3/8 are hard to find (where I looked) - even at my local fixings factor.

So, I bought a 10mm reamer for 7 quid and opened em out.

saw corect bolts at Newark - they wanted a fiver each!!!!!!!!!

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 8/1/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
imperial bolts are measured 'across flats' I think.......

Not in my experience Steve.

They are measured by nominal thread size just like metric......eg 1/4 BSW or 1/4 BSF or 1/4 UNC or 1/4 UNF...will all have a 1/4" shank....

Spanner sizing does vary though.
UNC, UNF and metric are denoted by their A/F size, whereas old BSW and BSF spanners are denoted by the shank size they fit.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 8/1/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
saw corect bolts at Newark - they wanted a fiver each!!!!!!!!!

My local fastening supplier is a little place called Permafast. They carry practically anything I need and are very reasonable as I never ask for a receipt. I got 8 bolts with nuts and washers for my zeemeride shocks for £2. I'm going to fill my pockets before the next show I reckon.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
my local fasteners place sells loadsa stuff, but only had machine screws in the length I needed. Screwfix have a limited range, and RS and Farnell have next to nowt.

so I got reamed, so to speak.

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.